Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 5ghz Connection Issues

LColon519
Aspirant

NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 5ghz Connection Issues

If I sound frustrated, it's because I had a full post typed up only for it to fail to post when I hit post... so now I am going to try to remain detailed... but keep it shorter.

Basically I have 3 networks - 1 - 2ghz network and 2 - 5ghz networks. All three are named differently, and have different passwords. I have SmarConnect disabled. My 2ghz network works fine... and turning it off is not an option since all of my smart bulbs work exclusively with 2ghz networks.

Long story short... the issue is that my two 5ghz networks trade places in becoming almost useless... I'm talking about speeds on Network A will be <1-10 mbps down, while Network B hits a nice 100-150 mbps down. If it's any help, I have Spectrum as my ISP. The roles wil lbe reversed randomly... so it's not like anything is occurring that i can pinpoint that would cause something like this.

Sometimes the network that is encountering speed issues will either say unable to connect, or incorrect password... despite nothing being changed. It might also not even show up as a joinable network when trying to switch... again, no idea what is triggering this... I am on the latest firmware... I also do not know how to downgrade firmware... so if that is a legitimate potential fix, I'd appreciate the steps I need to take.

I really appreciate any and all feedback. I am trying to avoid several steps:

1) I haven't done a factory reset, because I've seen others describe a similar isssue that a factory reset did not fix.

2) A service contract costs $90 for 6 months, and I am betting that the first step they tell me is to do a factory reset, so I am holding off buying one until I get some feedback here.

3) even if feedback here doesn't work, it's kind of hard to reconcile spending $90 on a 6 month service contract that I dont feel assured will fix my issues... over just buying a new router setup...

Thanks for any and all help!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 5ghz Connection Issues

@LColon519 wrote:

If I sound frustrated, it's because I had a full post typed up only for it to fail to post when I hit post... so now I am going to try to remain detailed... but keep it shorter.

The forum usually save a "work in progress" copy for you.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

@LColon519 wrote:

1) I haven't done a factory reset, because I've seen others describe a similar isssue that a factory reset did not fix.

Not much point in going any further if you aren't prepared to try the most obvious rescue move. You can always save the settings and retrieve them if you want to.

Message 2 of 4
LColon519
Aspirant

Thanks for the clarification.

I’m on firmware 1.0.4.62_10.1.74.

I am using a Spectrum modem #e31u2v1.

I am fully aware that a factory reset is the obvious first step. I’m not implying that I DON’T want to do that. I’m simply clarifying that before I take that step, I’ve read people with similar issues say they’ve done the factory reset and still had same issue... so I just wanted to come here and see if anyone could maybe shed some light on whether they’ve experienced the same... or if the factory reset did work... or if it didn’t work, what next steps might they have taken to resolve the issue if they were able to resolve.

Happy to provide any and all additional information.
Message 3 of 4
LColon519
Aspirant

Reupping this to see if anyone can provide some answers.

All of the above applies. However, I did do a factory reset of the router... so I started from scratch... named each network differently with a unique password and the same issue occurred. One 5ghz network works great. The other one slows down to just about nothing. This randomly occurs vice versa.

If it helps I can give more info. I do have a lot of devises on wifi. Can give a specific number if needed. Also, it is about a 12 sq ft apartment... I donk think it necessarily has a lot of walls and barriers, but I digress. Regardless, I could be right next to the router and it still happens.

Anyone got any other feedback? Could really use it. It’s pretty frustrating not knowing what the hell the issue is especially after a factory reset. I actually reset my ipad and set up as new to see if it was the device software I had, but same issue happened with a fresh ipad.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7