Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 Smart wifi. model # R6700v3

mdross1
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 Smart wifi. model # R6700v3

Hi,

Our current wifi is horrible a lot of lost calls. Really anxious to install this Netgear because of alll the other changes that have to happen with it. We are not computer people. Was hoping we could keep our old long on password to lessen the aggravation.

Mike

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 Smart wifi. model # R6700v3

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 or 149 to 161 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

You and use same SSID name and Password from your old wifi router if you like. 

Message 2 of 4
mdross1
Aspirant

Our provider is Spectrum using their modem and latest wifi 6 router. Everything else you mentioned would need help with. Thank you for the reply. 

Message 3 of 4

@mdross1 wrote:

Our provider is Spectrum using their modem and latest wifi 6 router. Everything else you mentioned would need help with. Thank you for the reply. 

This does not tell us what "their modem" is – the make and model number?

The fact that there is also a "latest wifi 6 router" complicates things. Again, what is it?

The Netgear R6700v3, not one of the most "powerful" routers in the range, may well be no better than your existing router. It isn't wifi6, for example.

Talk of changing wifi bands might work, but is rarely a solution to troublesome wifi.

I would play around a bit to see why you have these "lost calls". Do they happen wherever you are, or just far away from the wifi source?

How big is the area you are trying to fill with wifi? Are there any (wifi) noisy neighbours invading wifi signals.

As @FURRYe38 says, you can change the wifi access settings to whatever you like.

How do I change the WiFi password or security level on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

How do I change my NETGEAR router password or network name (SSID)? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Or visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Specify Basic WiFi Settings.

There may also be some helpful videos on what to do.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7