Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk R7000

sierra7
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk R7000

Hello, I am a novice at this so please explain in simple terms so that I may follow - Thanks

I have a Xfinity XB7 modem connected to a Nighthawk R7000 with an Ethernet cable. I have pinged and found the correct log on is 192.168.1.1

When I attempt to access my Netgear Router using 192.168.1.1  or www.routerlogin.net or www.routerlogin.com 

I receive either an "error message" or this site cannot be reached.  I have reset the router and tried the available methods to log in to no avail. 

Can you please help me reach and log into my Netgear R7000 Router.

Thank you very much!

Bob

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
sierra7
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R7000

Thank you very much for your reply and assistance.  My situation is this;

I want to install a VPN.  My research (as limited as it is) indicates I have to flash the R7000  with DD WRT in order to obtain an open VPN.  It appears that can not be done with the XB7.  Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!!!  Bob

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Disconnect the R7000 from the XB7. Its in a double nat right now and we don't know which you're connected to. 

so disconnect it and connect your pc/laptop directly to the r7000. That'll let you access it. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There are 3 options, but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass-through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway wirelessly enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. The Wi-Fi/ethernet still works, but it disables some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

The XB7 has quite a bit better performance than the R7000. Not sure why you're using both. 

Message 2 of 4
sierra7
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your reply and assistance.  My situation is this;

I want to install a VPN.  My research (as limited as it is) indicates I have to flash the R7000  with DD WRT in order to obtain an open VPN.  It appears that can not be done with the XB7.  Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!!!  Bob

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

correct, you would have to flash the r7000 with 3rd party firmware. 

You'd have to ask on that forum (whatever firmware you use) for help with the correct settings for it. 

You'd want the xb7 in passthrough mode

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series