Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk router says it can support Max 32 devices per band...

southearn
Follower

Netgear Nighthawk router says it can support Max 32 devices per band...

My Netgear Nighthawk router specs say it can support 32 devices per band... If I add an AP via a hard-wired POE switch to one of the router's ports, do the devices on that AP count towards the 32 device limit? Or do they only count towards the AP's device limit?

FWIW... the devices connecting to the wireless AP will be assigned an IP via DHCP on the primary Nighthawk router.

Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Re: Netgear Nighthawk router says it can support Max 32 devices per band...

Which "Nighthawk router"?
Message 2 of 4
Kitsap
Master

@southearn wrote:

My Netgear Nighthawk router specs say it can support 32 devices per band... If I add an AP via a hard-wired POE switch to one of the router's ports, do the devices on that AP count towards the 32 device limit? Or do they only count towards the AP's device limit?

Yes.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

They only count to that specific device's wireless limit. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24043/How-many-WiFi-client-devices-can-my-NETGEAR-router-support

That's one of the benefits to moving to a mesh system, adding an access point, or adding an extender, you can have more wireless devices. 

but keep in mind, its not just about how many you can connect but also the bandwidth. If I have 32 IoT devices, they don't use much bandwidth, but if I'm running 8x 4k TV's, that's another story.  

Maybe going over what issue you're having and what you're trying to accomplish in more details can let us better help you than just "sure, add an AP". 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series