Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Night Hawk R6700 V3 losing internet and needing manual reset near daily

Gpink
Aspirant

Night Hawk R6700 V3 losing internet and needing manual reset near daily

I have a Nighthawk R6700 v3. I have had nothing but issues with it since I have hooked it up. Customer service is zero help. It loses internet connectivity daily and requires a manual reset (pulling power and plugging back in after 30 seconds) and the internet resumes normal activity like nothing happened. This happens 1-2 times per day. I have used other routers and none of them have this issue. We have Verizon as an ISP. Furthermore, the router will drop all devices and when the devices go to reconnect it requires the password but prompts the password is wrong (yet it is the correct password because it was the saved password that has been working). Reset the router again and it fixes this. The router also will allow certain things to work when it decides to drop internet. Frequently the internet will not work citing a DNS issue while online gaming and Alexa devices function with no interruption. I need help.
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
saleem_safi9910
Aspirant

Re: Night Hawk R6700 V3 losing internet and needing manual reset near daily

I think you should

@Gpink wrote:
I have a Nighthawk R6700 v3. I have had nothing but issues with it since I have hooked it up. Customer service is zero help. It loses internet connectivity daily and requires a manual reset (pulling power and plugging back in after 30 seconds) and the internet resumes normal activity like nothing happened. This happens 1-2 times per day. I have used other routers and none of them have this issue. We have Verizon as an ISP. Furthermore, the router will drop all devices and when the devices go to reconnect it requires the password but prompts the password is wrong (yet it is the correct password because it was the saved password that has been working). Reset the router again and it fixes this. The router also will allow certain things to work when it decides to drop internet. Frequently the internet will not work citing a DNS issue while online gaming and Alexa devices function with no interruption. I need help.

auto disconnect sittings of the reouter, it will be 10min, make it to NEVER or 120min

Message 2 of 6

@Gpink wrote:
It loses internet connectivity daily and requires a manual reset (pulling power and plugging back in after 30 seconds) and the internet resumes normal activity like nothing happened.

What does "loses internet connectivity" mean? Wifi dies? Ethernet stops working? Internet LED goes off?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

The symptoms you describe can be down to having a modem/router in front of a router.

Message 3 of 6
Gpink
Aspirant

What does "loses internet connectivity" mean? Wifi dies? Ethernet stops working? Internet LED goes off?

- Wifi dies and ethernet loses connectivity. 

What firmware version do you have on the device?

1.0.4.118_10.0.90

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

- Standard verizon modem, 100% a modem and not a router. 

Message 4 of 6

@Gpink wrote:

- Wifi dies and ethernet loses connectivity. 

And the Internet LED?

@Gpink wrote:

1.0.4.118_10.0.90

As this is recent, did you reset the thing after the update?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

@Gpink wrote:

We'll have to take your word for that, but there is no such thing as a "Standard verizon modem", as a Google search of that phase confirms.

Verizon doesn't make modems and has supplied many different models over the years.

Message 5 of 6
Gpink
Aspirant

And the Internet LED?

- I have never paid attention to that. I will have to look at it next time. What colors should they be? Blue good red bad?

As this is recent, did you reset the thing after the update?

- Reset as in pull the power yes. Factory reset... no. I will try that now. 

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

@Gpink wrote:

We'll have to take your word for that, but there is no such thing as a "Standard verizon modem", as a Google search of that phase confirms.

Verizon doesn't make modems and has supplied many different models over the years.

- I attached a picture of the modem. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7