Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC1750 randomly dropping devices from internet

Nighthawk AC1750 randomly dropping devices from internet

This issue has been brought up by tons of other users with the exact same problem using this router along with others. Everyone, including Netgear, say to update firmware and that will fix the issue. THIS DOES NOT FIX ANYTHING!! The firmware seems to BE THE PROBLEM! Netgear, please fix your products!

Here is the problem for anyone who has not run into it yet: seemingly at random and with no trigger, the R6700v3 Nighthawk router will disconnect one or two IP addresses and refuse to give them internet. The only fix that has been discovered so far is to power cycle the router. This is an annoying process that SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BE DONE AT ALL if the product worked how it should.

It is very apparent that Netgear does not care about this issue as they have yet to offer any fix other than to check the firmware version and if you want any assistance at all you basically have to buy the router again through a technical support subscription. Netgear used to make quality products with outstanding service but this is no longer the case with is very, very disappointing.

Anyone who has found another fix besides firmware/power cycling please let me know. Otherwise this post will just get archived by Netgear like the rest of them.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AC1750 randomly dropping devices from internet

which version of the R6700 do you have? there's 3 versions. 

And sometimes, the latest firmware isn't always the answer. If you look at the r7000 for example, the agreed upon best/stable firmware from the forums is 3 yeards old (sadly). 

We also usually recommend after changing firmware, if there's an issue to factory reset and do a clean install. By clean install I mean, not from a backup configuration. And anytime you change firmwares, a hardwired connection is best. When we see corrupt or firmware issues, it tends to be when it was done using the app or wireless. 

did you do a reset/clean install? 

What modem do you have? 

Have you tried downgrading the firmware? its tough to give you an idea of which one to try but I usually recommend the version prior to netgear armor. Armor tended to create more problems then it solved in my experience on here. 

Message 2 of 9

As mentioned in my post, I have the R6700v3. I have not done a factory reset/fresh install yet however my issue is that we should not have to refresh and reset everything multiple times just to get it to work properly. And I am using an Arris TM1602A modem from Spectrum.
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

And usually you don't have to do that. 

But if there's a large enough change to the firmware, like netgear adding in netgear armor, then old settings can cause issues. 

Its why its one of the first steps to try. especially with Netgear adding armor. 

Which version are you on? "the latest" changes, isn't, or it could help someone in the future reading this. 

Did you try the reset and reinstall since? 

Message 4 of 9

As of now I have factory reset the router and updated the firmware from version 1.0.4.102 to version 1.0.4.106_10.0.80 via a hardwired connection to my desktop. I will probably not know for at least a day if the disconnections continue since they occured once every few days usually a few times a week.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Good luck! Hopefully it works well after this. 

Message 6 of 9
Bigstephen
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue with my R6230/AC1200. I am now running FW V1.1.0.106_1.0.1 with a factory reset. Here's hoping. If it drops out again during one of my wife's classes, she's going to lose her job. I have a feeling that the correct fix will be buying a different brand router...
Model: R6230|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 7 of 9
Bigstephen
Aspirant

I was correct in my assumption. I fixed the problem by switching to a TP-LINK AX1800
Model: R6230|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 8 of 9

So far the disconnects have ceased.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7