Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000: How to access devices connected to LAN wired ports?

Jeff-In-Chicago
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000: How to access devices connected to LAN wired ports?

Hello all, 

I have a Nighthawk R7000 / AC1900 WiFi router that I've been using for years. I have a problem and am stuck.

How can I use WiFi clients (laptop, tablet, etc.)  connected  to the R7000 — to gain access to three ethernet devices connected to the LAN ports of the R7000?

• The devices connected to the LAN ports have IP addresses of 10.0.0.1, 10.0.02, and 10.0.03
  • The Wifi laptop and tablet  are automatically assigned IP addresses by the Nighthawk as 192.168.1.x, etc.

I expected that when I used the laptop on the 192.168.1.x network to access a device on the 10.0.0.x network, the R7000 would route the traffic correctly.  Instead, nothing happens.  

I've tried using Bridge mode and AP mode but no luck.  Any ideas?

Thank you!

Jeff

Message 1 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@Jeff-In-Chicago wrote:

Hello all, 

I have a Nighthawk R7000 / AC1900 WiFi router that I've been using for years. I have a problem and am stuck.

How can I use WiFi clients (laptop, tablet, etc.)  connected  to the R7000 — to gain access to three ethernet devices connected to the LAN ports of the R7000?

• The devices connected to the LAN ports have IP addresses of 10.0.0.1, 10.0.02, and 10.0.03
  • The Wifi laptop and tablet  are automatically assigned IP addresses by the Nighthawk as 192.168.1.x, etc.

I expected that when I used the laptop on the 192.168.1.x network to access a device on the 10.0.0.x network, the R7000 would route the traffic correctly.  Instead, nothing happens.  

I've tried using Bridge mode and AP mode but no luck.  Any ideas?

Thank you!

Jeff

Can you change the set IP address of the three Ethernet connected devices?

If so, go to the Advanced -> Setup -> LAN setup and set the default router local IP address to 10.0.0.1.  Then set the DHCP address pool to 10.0.0.100 to 10.0.0.200.

Once you have made the changes, it would be necessary to restart your entire LAN in sequence.  Power everything down and disconnect the power cord and Ethernet cord from your modem.  Power the modem up and give it plenty of time to boot and stabilize.  Once done, connect and power up your R7000 and give it time to power up and stabilize.  Then power up the remaining devices on your LAN.

Message 2 of 6

@Jeff-In-Chicago wrote:

When you see both those IP address ranges on a network it can be a sign that you have two routers in the network. By default Netgear goes for 192.168.1.1. But if it sees something there already it picks 10.0.0.1.

What is the modem/gateway/Optical Network Terminator (ONT) between tour R7000 and the Internet?

Message 3 of 6
Jeff-In-Chicago
Aspirant

@michaelkenward

I neglected to mention that the R7000 is not connected to the internet or any other network. 

Perhaps I should have asked,  "What is the best way to use the Nighthawk to create a private WiFi network that can allow me to use a laptop (via WiFi) to access to four devices connected via the LAN ports?"

The four devices are digital projectors. Each has a  self-contained web-based administration interface for configuration, accessible through each unit's Ethernet port.

Does this help?   Thank you, Michael!

Jeff

Message 4 of 6
Jeff-In-Chicago
Aspirant

Kitsap,

Thank you for your kind reply! I will try this today. 

Best,

Jeff

Message 5 of 6

@Jeff-In-Chicago wrote:

I neglected to mention that the R7000 is not connected to the internet or any other network. 

Aha. That rules out anything I can contribute.

More of a network management thing than getting Netgear kit to cooperate.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series