Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000, LAN desktop not connecting to gateway

angrycandy
Follower

Nighthawk R7000, LAN desktop not connecting to gateway

I'm setting up this router for the first time in a new apartment. When I plug my router into the modem and my desktop into the router, Windows says "unidentified network, no internet," though when my desktop is plugged directly into the modem, the internet works fine. The power light on the router is solid red, the internet light is on, and so is the ethernet light for the port connected to my desktop.

Trying to connect to 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, or routerlogin.net does not work (can't establish a connection). I've tried resetting the modem and factory resetting the router several times, and nothing has changed.  I've tried several different devices and ethernet cables too.

When typing ipconfig into CMD, the default gateway is blank and the autoconfiguration ipv4 address is 169.254.18.109.  I tried manually assigning a static ipv4 address (192.168.1.10) and default gateway (192.168.1.1) which resulted in the ip/gateway showing up in ipconfig, but still no internet.

ping 192.168.1.1 returns "Destination host unreachable" with 0% packet loss under both the auto and static ip configurations.

Running Windows Network Diagnostics under the auto ip configuration, it says "Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration."  With the static settings, it says "The default gateway is not available."

I'm not sure where to go from here.  Any help would be much appreciated

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Nighthawk R7000, LAN desktop not connecting to gateway

@angrycandy wrote:

I'm setting up this router for the first time in a new apartment. When I plug my router into the modem and my desktop into the router, Windows says "unidentified network, no internet," though when my desktop is plugged directly into the modem, the internet works fine. The power light on the router is solid red, the internet light is on, and so is the ethernet light for the port connected to my desktop.

That's a standard Windows issue that has nothing to do with your router. It sees a new network and tries to protect you from it. A good start is with the Windows Network troubleshooter.

One thought is that you could tell Windows that you are on a "private network".

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

I'm told that this is rubbish advice. But it has worked for me and others in the same boat.

@angrycandy wrote:

I've tried resetting the modem and factory resetting the router several times, and nothing has changed.  I've tried several different devices and ethernet cables too.

What is that modem?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7