Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 -- WIRELESS speeds FASTER than wired speeds

SillyMan
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 -- WIRELESS speeds FASTER than wired speeds

Hi this is my first post here and it's a weird one for me. I've been running QoS for a while without issue but it seems like after an update and I'm not sure which one my Ethernet speeds have severely throttled. At first there wasn't a dynamic QoS and I went in and manually set what devices I wanted to have highest priority which was my game consoles since they also serve as multi media devices as well. For some strange reason my downloads are capped at no higher than 10Mbps and I get 100 from my ISP but on wifi it way faster. It wasn't always like this. So after a recent update I seen Dyanmic QoS and said let's try it and my Ethernet download  speeds went up to normal like 80 on the console while upload stayed around 5 which is fine. All of a sudden My speeds tanked completely. Now I'm barely getting 10 down and 1 up. 

Should I just turn off QoS? I reverted back to advanced QoS for now because with dynamic on I couldn't join my brother in a pvp match. With advanced settings I'm able to only problem is my wired speeds get throttled a lot. I'm thinking either I turn QoS off or should I bother downgrading the firmware? 

I know I probably said too much but I'm just trying to be clear. Hope I was. Thanks for any replies. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried changing the Ethernet cable?

What's your speed when you bypass the router?

Did you try all LAN ports on the router?

By the way, did you reset the route rafter firmware upgrade?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11

All Replies
jclaracq
Star

Hi got same issue. Solving it was very simple.

By default the QOS is set to manual! What a stupid thing! Then nothing is optimized.

Change it to Automatic. Then everything will be back to normal. Otherwise disable QOS, if you have a large broadband it is useless even for heavy domestic use.

cheers

Message 2 of 11
SillyMan
Aspirant

i actually set it up in manual which is advanced mode. I set all the devices i wanted to have highest priority and it worked for a while. Recently it started acting up and i changed it to Dynamic or auto and it probably worked for a week but than my upload speeds went way down and i couldnt game properly. 

Also the uplink bandwidth only measures my upload speed at 10Mbps but its also capping me download on wired connection to 10Mbps. I manually entered 100Mbps and it seemed to sort of work but still other devices started to buffer. Im honestly at a loss. I think im just going to turn it off and see what happens when i have a multiple devices running. QoS is more of a pain than its worth it seems

ill add real quick. When i have QoS in manual mode everything works fine with no interruptions but my download speed on wired is capped at 10Mbps where the wifi has no cap. I dont get it.

Message 3 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@SillyMan When setting the QoS, did you try to do a Speed Test? If not, do a Speed Test after selecting Advance or Dynamic.

Message 4 of 11
SillyMan
Aspirant

Yes i have done that and it comes back to me with 10,000 Kbps. which is what my total upload speed is. My download is 100Mbps. For now i have to leave my settings with advance QoS because this is the only way my network is stable. I run to PS4 consoles and this is the only way we can game together otherwise we get kicked. Right now my download speeds on wired are capped at 10Mbps. I think the speedtest might be limiting me. If i was to change that value manually my download speeds go up but things get a bit unstable. 

All i want is the devices i have set to highest priority and that are wired to be able to download faster than 10Mbps. Everything else is fine. 

Message 5 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried changing the Ethernet cable?

What's your speed when you bypass the router?

Did you try all LAN ports on the router?

By the way, did you reset the route rafter firmware upgrade?

Message 6 of 11
SillyMan
Aspirant

I have a mixture of Cat5e and Cat6 ethernet cables all with the same result.

When i plug the modem directly to the router i get the full speed from my ISP.

Ive tested every LAN port and the result is the same.

No i havent attempted to do a factory reset after the firmware update.

I know doing a reset will cause me to have to setup everything all over again and set up my wifi. This week was a little hectic and didnt have time. Ill probably give it a shot one and see what ends up happening. Otherwise i might have to try to reflash the router or possibly get a new one.

Message 7 of 11
SillyMan
Aspirant

Ok so I don't know how to edit a comment but I went ahead and did a factory reset by holding the button in the back. Setup everything except the QoS and so far everything looks good. Download speeds are normal and wifi isn't higher than Ethernet finally. I'm going to keep an eye for a week and try to do my everyday thing around the house and see how it holds up. If all is well I'll never turn QoS on again. 

Message 8 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Keep us updated.

Message 9 of 11
SillyMan
Aspirant

So far everything is working properly and Ethernet speeds are fast the way it should be. Only thing that i have noticed is that when i run say multiple consoles that if i have a stream playing in the background it might suffer a little qualityor pause for a second. Not a big deal considering what was happening before. Im sure QoS could help with that but im not sure i want to mess with that setting again. Seemed to be more hassle than its worth. So i think its safe to say that the factory reset did the trick for me.

thank you

Message 10 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation