Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 keeps resetting to factory defaults

robkorver
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 keeps resetting to factory defaults

I have 2 Nighthawk R7000's that both keep resetting to factory defaults after a power failure. Nothing to do with surges, sometimes when I switch it off and on with the power button it also resets to factory defaults. Both R7000's behave the same strangely enough. After this happens I need to load the config file with my settings again to get my network up again in the right configuration. Firmware in both is the latest: V1.0.11.136_10.2.120  But in a previous version of the firmware I experienced the same behaviour. I'm beginning to think the memory of these things are toast after a certain amount of years or amount of powercycles. I see a lot of messages with the same issue as I have but no answers and Netgear doesn't respond to this. Time to move to another brand and throw these Netgears in the trash?

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7000 keeps resetting to factory defaults

IF you have manually loaded FW on these units using a wired PC and web browser and afterwards, powered OFF for 1 minute then back ON, then after they are ready, performed a factory reset:

https://kb.netgear.com/24233/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-router

and setup from scratch and then continue to exhibit this, I would presume these unit are faulty and needs replacing. 

Message 2 of 9
robkorver
Aspirant

Thank you for your answer! I did exactly once what you describe. It took a long time to set it up manually, I use a lot of NAT's etc... After this procedure (which I read before) it didn't solve the issue and after another power outage the unit reset to factory default again. These R7000's are not under warranty anymore and I read the same issue with similar wifi routers of Netgear not only the R7000. These R7000 worked Ok for about 5-6 years but now they're useless, I'll move to another brand.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

What actual firmware version are you on for them?

Message 5 of 9
robkorver
Aspirant

the latest, V1.0.11.136_10.2.120 on both. But the previous version had the exact same issue, I just recently updated and hoped it would solve the issue but no luck

Message 6 of 9

What happens if you get these things set up as needed and then save the settings?

How do I back up the router configuration settings on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Can you reload the backup and get back in business?

Message 7 of 9
robkorver
Aspirant

yes, what I do when the R7000 reset to factory defaults then I load and save (restore) a previous backup file into the R7000 that I have on my computer. That runs fine until the next power outage or when I switch the R7000 off and on again. I have 2 R7000's which are both about 6 years old and they behave exactly the same so I almost expect something like faulty/worn out memory. They both worked flawless for about 5 and a half years but both began to get faulty about a half year ago. You should think that this is no coincidence, what I read about similar problems (they seems to occur a lot) is that this problem does not get fixed by Netgear. I think it's a joke that you can throw away such a product after 6 years, that shouldn't happen.

Message 8 of 9

@robkorver wrote:

yes, what I do when the R7000 reset to factory defaults then I load and save (restore) a previous backup file into the R7000 that I have on my computer.

The drawback there is that restoring saved settings can also resurrect whatever bug is causing the behaviour you see.

A quick test would be to create the power off the conditions that wipe out the setting. Then do not restore your settings. Make a few minor changes – perhaps just enough ti get back on line, Then go through the same power cycle that wipes the settings and see if your new configuration is also dead.

That would rule out the possibility that it is something in the old settings that causes the reset.

If not, then you may need to abandon your previous saved configurations and set the routers up from scratch.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7