Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X10

1c3m4n_MJ
Aspirant

Nighthawk X10

Newbie - I see a similar question asked before - so apologies but I have the same problem and I don't think this is firmware related.

I've had the R9000 for a couple of years after a recommendation and have always updated the firmware. It's rebooting itself at random.

Wondering if it is the heatwave we are experiencing in the UK at the moment? T

The router is nicely ventilated in a raised area within my home office. It's done this reboot over the past three weeks or more randomly when I'm hardwired and I lose all connectivity. Wi-Fi also drops and the whole router reboots.

Yes it's hot but am I imagining that there are fans inside - but they don't appear to come on ever - or does the router use a heatsink. Anyway, it's not as hot today - only 16 degrees and it's just done it again.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X10

If you think its a heat issue, you could always try putting it on a fan or pointing a fan on it. 

It might not be 

it could be:

1. corrupt firmware. Try reinstalling the firmware to it and doing a reset/reinstall

2. bug in the firmware. Maybe the latest firmware is causing issue. Try downgrading a version and installing.

3. power supply. it wouldn't be the first time a power supply was failing under load. You could check that. 

Message 2 of 7
1c3m4n_MJ
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

I don’t think it’s the firmware because I had this problem before I upgraded to the latest.

There is a fan directly behind the unit and it’s next to an open window, so it couldn’t be in a better position.

Regarding power, it’s connected to a UPS on the “surge only” supply so it’s getting clean regulated mains.

Reboots are completely random and I’m really convinced that no internal fan inside the router has ever come on. Are these units passively cooled by way of a heat sink or do they have integral fans?

I’m sure this is a faulty unit now
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 7
fire888
Guide

ok. so I finally found the answer.

It was THE PRINTER.

When I unplugged the printer, the router functioned normal again at last. 

I have tried this for almost a month, and it's all good.

So, if u have the same problem, u could try to unplugged the printer.
It's not so good anyway. Netgear's printer feature is awkward at best (or at least on my R7000P).

So this case is closed.

But I just want to say, I found that netgear's support is dissapointing, and I feel like I've been cheated.

I bought this router because of netgear's big name, and I though I have a year (free worry) warranty. 

So as u can see from the date of this thread, this problem happened at jul-aug 2021, and if the warranty is a year, then I should still under warranty until around mid-late sept 2021. 

But netgear denied the support, and said that technical support only 90 days after purchased. 

It's so weird to have warranty for 1 year (or even 2 years as the support said), but technical support only 90 days. 

It was a nightmare trying to find the cause and support for this problem (for 2-3 months), and I was ready to throw this router away or even sell it cheap as garbage, luckily I found the cause myself, and it cost me to not use 1 of the feature (well which is not good implemented anyway).

I dont think I will want to buy netgear's product anymore. 1 time is enough.

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

I'd agree that the "support' part of it is a bit bogus. I really wish they'd do a better job of explaining it for people. 

Its a challenge as the most of times that people are having issues, its not related to the router at all or is with something that could be solved with a quick search or going through a manual. And running a call center with people competent isn't cheap either. 

They do they 90 days so its enough for people to get a product up and running. If it powers on after that 90 days, then its a paid thing. Unless it truly is a hardware issue. Then my understanding is they refund the support charge. I've never needed to use it but its always an option. 

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@1c3m4n_MJ wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

I don’t think it’s the firmware because I had this problem before I upgraded to the latest.

There is a fan directly behind the unit and it’s next to an open window, so it couldn’t be in a better position.

Regarding power, it’s connected to a UPS on the “surge only” supply so it’s getting clean regulated mains.

Reboots are completely random and I’m really convinced that no internal fan inside the router has ever come on. Are these units passively cooled by way of a heat sink or do they have integral fans?

I’m sure this is a faulty unit now

Message 6 of 7
fire888
Guide

@plemans wrote:

I'd agree that the "support' part of it is a bit bogus. I really wish they'd do a better job of explaining it for people. 

Its a challenge as the most of times that people are having issues, its not related to the router at all or is with something that could be solved with a quick search or going through a manual. And running a call center with people competent isn't cheap either. 

They do they 90 days so its enough for people to get a product up and running. If it powers on after that 90 days, then its a paid thing. Unless it truly is a hardware issue. Then my understanding is they refund the support charge. I've never needed to use it but its always an option. 

yeah 90 days were enough to get the product up and running, but not really enough as the product would likely start to behave wrong in a few months after used, or even on almost 1 year.
Most practice is that the support should be just as long as the warranty, that's at least 1 year. 1 year warranty is almost just a sham when the support not there.

anyway I apologize, my previous comment was misplaced thread. 
seems like netgear forum was getting weird yesterday.
It was supposed to go to my thread not this thread, and I can swear I never opened this thread before, so there's no way I was the one who posted it on this wrong thread.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7