Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 cannot administer over ethernet cable

embed
Aspirant

R7800 cannot administer over ethernet cable

I am trying to install new firmware on my new R7800. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to connect to it from my computer using the Ethernet cable. It sounds very like a problem other users have had eg https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/nighthawk-X4S-AC2600-model-R7800-not-connect... however the fix seems to be to do a factory reset. I have tried this and still no joy. I'm using a mac to connect and if I go into Finder I can see "r7800" as connected. If I click on it I get asked to "Connect as" and put in a username and password. Trying the device's username and password doesn't work, nor does the one for my profile on the mac. The same username and password works perfectly if I try and connect wirelessly, however I don't want to install the firmware over wifi!

Any advice would be very welcomed, I'm really not an expert at this kind of thing so am convinced I'm missing something obvious! 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the mode of the 7800 actually set for AP mode or router mode? 

If you have the 7800 in AP mode, the the 7800 should be connected to the main host router via one of it's LAN ports in back to one of the LAN ports on the main host router. Do not use the WAN or Internet Port on the 7800. When in AP mode and using LAN to LAN connections to the main host router, log in to the main host routers web page and look at the connnected clients table to see what IP address the 7800 is getting from the main host router. Use this IP address to access the 7800s web page. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 16

All Replies
AhnFire
Guide

Hmm... just on the off chance, is your router the actual router? Or is it an access point? Maybe the address is something other than 192.168.1.1? I do not know of a config that would only allow access via wifi and not via ethernet. Is your PC connected directly to the R7800 or to a different device when wired?

Message 2 of 16
embed
Aspirant

Yes, I think this might be the issue - I had set it up as an access point because when going through the wizard it asked if I could disable wifi on the modem, and I can't see any way to do that ( it's a BT Home Hub 5). Will see if I can set it up as a router when I get home from work later, hopefully that will sort it. Thanks for the quick reply 🙂

Message 3 of 16
mondenath
Prodigy

Yes you can check this via both genie app and mac . Compare the ip address and see if any changes.

Wifi address and Lan address will be same if set as AP and router. But if you are setting as AP and allows the HUB to do that.

You can check the router IP via genie app. It will tell the router gui ip to login. Even AP can be reached via lan or wireless instead of hitting the predefine router ip one have to hit the router assigned ip to reach.

Message 4 of 16
AhnFire
Guide

Cool. Genie should work, unless you have 2 netgear devices (one as router, one as AP). So go to your router, check the device list and find the AP you want to administer. Or, when connected via wifi, check the address assigned to the AP via the web admin GUI. Good luck!

Message 5 of 16
embed
Aspirant

Hmm, this hasn't helped. What I did:

set it up so the router was connected to the modem. I then logged into the router from my Mac over wireless and told it to be a router not an access point. So far so good - I notice that the Netgear wizard told me that it had changed the routers address to 10.0.0.1 so as to avoid clashing with the modem. I then disconnected the router from the modem and connected it to the Mac, and then tried to log into the router at 10.0.0.1 and could do so. Great I thought then I realized I was actually still on wifi. Turned wifi off on my Mac, tried to go to the same IP, and it doesn't work. It seems to want to connect to the Internet. My knowledge of networks is pretty low but do I have to tell it that I want 10.0.01 to be its default or something similar? Is the problem that the router needs to be connected to both the modem and the computer at the same time? I had assumed not but maybe this is what is wrong, I don't know.

Message 6 of 16
AhnFire
Guide

To me, the symptoms point to you receive an IP outside of the 10.x.x.x range and probably, your wired connection is going to your main router in the 192.168.1.x range. So then you will not be able to go to 10.0.0.1 to administer it.

Your router, as AP, should have a 192.168.1.x address assigned to it and you can find it via some kind of attached device list from your main router. Or when you connect via wifi back to your AP, check the "WAN" address (should list its 192.168.1.x address). Alternatively, connect your cable directly to the AP that you want to upgrade via Ethernet. That should give your PC a 10.0.0.x address and allow you to connect to 10.0.0.1. 

That's my best guess, hope that helps.

Message 7 of 16
embed
Aspirant

I did connect the cable directly to the AP (except it's not an AP now I told it to be a router) but it doesn't work.

How do I check the WAN address?
Message 8 of 16
embed
Aspirant

Also what do you mean by main router? I have my R7800 and I have my BT home hub modem.

Logging into the router (over wifi) and looking at what is connected, it has my Mac with an IP of 10.0.0.2

Sorry for so many questions but I'm really struggling with all of this

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the mode of the 7800 actually set for AP mode or router mode? 

If you have the 7800 in AP mode, the the 7800 should be connected to the main host router via one of it's LAN ports in back to one of the LAN ports on the main host router. Do not use the WAN or Internet Port on the 7800. When in AP mode and using LAN to LAN connections to the main host router, log in to the main host routers web page and look at the connnected clients table to see what IP address the 7800 is getting from the main host router. Use this IP address to access the 7800s web page. 

Message 10 of 16
embed
Aspirant

It was originally set it AP mode which I have now changed to router mode. From the post above it sounds like I need to be in AP mode instead? I thought that was what had caused rthe problem. Getting more puzzled by the minute.

It sounds from your answer like I need to have the router connected to the modem (what I am calling the modem is what I assume you mean by "main host router" - it's the thing on the edge of the network given to me by my ISP)

Message 11 of 16
embed
Aspirant

Sorted! It was because I was using the Internet port not a LAN port. Now connecting fine. 

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

The BT Hub 5 I believe is a modem/router combo. We always recommend the these modems be bridged if possible however in some cases, they can not. You'll need to check with the ISP about this. If it can be, then you can run the 7800 in router mode.

If the ISP modem can't be bridged, then you'll need to either use the 7800 in router mode and you can connect it using the WAN port on the 7800 to the LAN port on the modem/router, then use the DMZ on the modem/router and input the IP address that the 7800 gets on it's WAN port and put this in the modems DMZ. You have a two router configuration which will work. 

2nd option, if your going to use the modem/router as the main host router or can't be bridged, use the 7800 in AP mode and connect the 7800 using its LAN port, Not the WAN port to the LAN port of the modem/router. Then turn OFF all wireless radios on the modem/router, if any, and use the 7800 as your wireless access point while using the modem/ router as the main router. I recommend trying this configuration for now. 

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working and it was just moving the cable to the LAN port. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 16
AhnFire
Guide

@embed wrote:

Sorted! It was because I was using the Internet port not a LAN port. Now connecting fine. 

Cool, although look at the Furry's response. You are "double routing" which is fine and probably not introducing much latency (a little), but it's not the most efficient. It depends on how much performance you want to squeeze out of it and how much you want to control your network. If this sorts you and it all works, then you should be ok.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

If there using AP mode and using the LAN to LAN method, theres not double routering or double NAT condition here. Single NAT remains on the modem/router. Using my 1st mentioned menthod with the WAN port and DMZ on the modem/router, ya, there is a double NAT condition here. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7