Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000/R7900: No Wireless Bridge Mode?

Corregidor
Tutor

R8000/R7900: No Wireless Bridge Mode?

Surprised to see that there is no bridge mode option in R7900/R8000 admin settings. The only feature that's available is the Wireless AP mode. Is this correct? Am I missing something?

Even on the R7000, there is an option under Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings to convert one of the radios to connect to another router (Use other operation mode > Setup Bridge Mode Wireless Settings). Is there any reason why this would be disabled on the R8000/R7900? Is there a firmware version that still has this feature enabled that I can revert to? I have the R7900 variant, and my current firmware is 1.0.1.4.

To clarify, I'm not talking about bridging an IPTV to the Internet or using the R8000/R7900 as an AP. I'm talking about getting the R8000/R7900 to wirelessly bridge with another wifi router.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router,R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi ZackM,

It is how bridge mode works. The router when set to bridge mode connects to the main router via wireless. The purpose for bridge mode is for wired devices connects wireless via the router. For more info you may check the KB below.

https://kb.netgear.com/24105/What-is-bridge-mode-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Nighthawk-router

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 23

All Replies
Corregidor
Tutor

Here is the advertised feature:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24105/~/what-is-bridge-mode-and-how-do-i-set-it-up-on-...

Which isn't actually available on Netgear's more expensive nighthawks. Very odd.

Message 2 of 23
TheEther
Guru

Yeah if you click on This answer applies to the following products you'll see that it doesn't apply to the R7900/R8000.  I can kinda understand why Netgear doesn't offer wireless bridging on these models.  It's a waste to use a tri-band router as a wireless bridge.  Only 1 Wi-Fi band can be used.

Message 3 of 23
Corregidor
Tutor

I actually think tri-bands are excellent as bridges. You use 1 5Ghz band to connect to the other router, and you still have two radios to repeat your own subnet. With the R7000, once you use up your 5Ghz radio, your local clients can only use 2.4Ghz.

But shouldn't that be left up to the user? It doesn't make sense that a lower-powered router with less bands has more features.

I might be encouraged by the "currently" in this response in their FAQ:

Is the WDS/Repeater mode available on the R8000?
Currently, the WDS/Repeater mode feature can only be supported without security. Therefore, we have removed this feature from the R8000.

But this answer has been around for many years now, so it doesn't seem likely to change. If Netgear tracks feature requests, +1 from me for bridge mode on the R8000/R7900.

Message 4 of 23
TheEther
Guru

In Netgear-speak, a wireless bridge is different than a wireless repeater (aka range extender).  A wireless bridge only supports wired clients.

If you were really thinking of wireless repeating, then Netgear has made it clear by their actions (i.e. removing WDS from virtually all of their routers) that they want you to buy a range extender.

Message 5 of 23
Corregidor
Tutor

Appears that way, yes. Although if I want to spend all that money on their tri-band router to use as an extender, you'd think they'd let me!

Anyway, thanks for responding Ether. I appreciate your input.

Message 6 of 23
TheEther
Guru

Yeah, you would think they wouldn't have any problem taking more money, but maybe they want to protect their markets.  Anyway, you're welcome.

Message 7 of 23
Tony-ForesiteIT
Initiate

It was a surprise to me as well as I was expecting the R8000 to be an improvement of the R7000.  We purchase 3 of these units for the sole purpose of creating a bridge between 2 physical segments.

I did find a way around the issue by uploading the dd-wrt firmware http://dd-wrt.com and configured bridge mode using the dd-wrt firmware.

Here is a list of support devices;

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Message 8 of 23
Carlangaman
Initiate

can you tell me what exact fw you used?  I have a second R8000 that I would like to use as a repeater but the DDWRT from Kong seems to have issues with this mode bricking it based on the myopenrouter website.

Message 9 of 23
eljf
Tutor

i tried to use dd-wrt, to make R8000 a range extender. But I can't find the settings that work in the WRT UI.

Message 10 of 23
TheEther
Guru

The general instructions are in their article, Repeater Bridge.

Message 11 of 23
eljf
Tutor

Hi Ether, thanks for reply. I've been trying several instructions like this

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Universal_Wireless_Repeater

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

None of them have worked. I'll try the link you sent. I did not see those particular instructions. At the moment, I'm not positive about it. It looks very similar to all the other instructions. I'm starting to think this R8000 is simply not capable of acting as a wireless repeater. Nobody has success so far.

Message 12 of 23
TheEther
Guru

The Universal Wireless Repeater link literally says not to use it and even provides a link to the Repeater Bridge link that I provided.  Anyway, I hope you get it to work.

Message 13 of 23
CenzozneC
Aspirant

Just went to install a R9000 for a customer.  Put it in bridge mode, no AP mode, not Route mode.  Once in Bridge morde it wont broadcast any wireless even though there is a wireless setup link/page on the Bridge mode config page.  Any ideas?

Message 14 of 23
TheEther
Guru

Bridge mode is used to connect wired clients to a Wi-Fi network.  The setup page is used to select the Wi-Fi network that the R9000 will join.  It will not broadcast its own Wi-Fi network.

Message 15 of 23
ZackM
Aspirant

My R6300 would broadcast on both 5 and 2.4 in Bridge Mode. It was an easy way to link internet between routers while maintaining separate network authentication in separate rooms and avoiding the interference of repeaters. I upgraded to the R7000 and now Bridge mode less functional by literally only bridging wireless to wired devices.
Message 16 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi ZackM,

It is how bridge mode works. The router when set to bridge mode connects to the main router via wireless. The purpose for bridge mode is for wired devices connects wireless via the router. For more info you may check the KB below.

https://kb.netgear.com/24105/What-is-bridge-mode-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 17 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi ZackM,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 18 of 23

there is no wireless bridge option! 

Message 19 of 23

Hi,, have you figure this issue? i am trying to tether my cell unlimited data to my router as my location's ADSL line sucks!  any thoughts?! thanks! 

Message 20 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi victorwong168,

There is no issue with wireless bridge. I have provided the link on how wireless bridge works for home routers.

Message 21 of 23

where is the link? i don't see it. 

Message 22 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi victorwong168,

Here is the link.

I have posted this in response to ZachM

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7