Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ROUTER END OF LIFE

ReallyStoked
Tutor

ROUTER END OF LIFE

Is there a way to find out what the "End of Life" date will be at the time of purchasing a new router?

I don't want to end up in the same boat I am currently in since my Nighthawk R9000 is no longing getting both NetGear Firmware updates or Plex Firmware Updates, the latter making Plex unusable. 

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ROUTER END OF LIFE

Router is EoL. Plex is not developed nor updated by NG. 

You can find Voxels 3rd party FW which has similar or near same WEB UI as Stock NG FW. He maintains backend packages with in the FW. Not sure if Plex is updated there or not. I recommend it as I have it loaded on my R9000. 

NG Needs to update this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/SMART-Wi-Fi-General-and-Legacy/NETGEAR-Products-and-End-of-Service-...

Message 2 of 3

Re: ROUTER END OF LIFE

@ReallyStoked wrote:

Is there a way to find out what the "End of Life" date will be at the time of purchasing a new router?

No. Netgear doesn't know when it will stop supporting devices when it releases them. Even if it did, that's the sort of detail it will keep close to its chest.

Some hang around for years (R7000, for example, originally from 2017), while others have a short shelf life (R7900, from the same year).

Then again, the EOL list isn't always up to date.

NETGEAR End of Service | NETGEAR

All you can do is to look at the average life of these things, and check how long the device you plan to buy has been around. Then again, the newest isn't always the greatest. It can take time to iron out the bugs in a line product line.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7