Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recommendations to setup PC for 60Ghz wifi connection.

Jsuchii
Aspirant

Recommendations to setup PC for 60Ghz wifi connection.

Hello!

I own a typical windows gaming desktop that comes with the usual pre-installed 5Ghz/2.4Ghz wifi card and would like to install a wifi card that supports 60Ghz wifi for gaming/streaming with my Nighthawk AD7200 Router. However, I'm not much experienced with what I specifically need for my computer but so far, I am aware I need an antenna and wifi card to install on my motherboard. I've been searching online for days but I've only been seeing 802.11ax wifi cards and no 802.11ad ones. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance. 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Recommendations to setup PC for 60Ghz wifi connection.

wireless AD was a tech that really didn't catch on because of its low range.  And its speeds dropped off quickly. 

I know of a millitronic mg360 usb 3.0 device. 

https://www.newegg.com/millitronic-mg360-type-a/p/0XM-010A-00002?Description=802.11%20ad&cm_re=802.1...

thats about all I know of

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Not worth the price in my opinion. the $ would be better put to a decent AC/AX card.
Message 3 of 5
Jsuchii
Aspirant

Oh ok! It seems I should go for an AX router along with the wifi card instead. Do you have any recommendations for great ax wifi cards for gaming/streaming? Thank you in advance!
Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

I've used the intel AX210 and AX200 and both have worked great. The AX210 wasn't much more expensive and had integrated 6E.

More than likely you don't need a new router. The R9000 is a pretty solid router and the AC part of it is more than capable of saturating speeds for gaming. (gaming doesn't take much bandwidth, its more about latency)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7