Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router - IP address range

GaACETech
Tutor

Router - IP address range

Dealing with a new router to replace the current internet provider modem/router for a small business.  But the business has about 6 IP addressed printers, plotters, and scanners.

I normally use the 192.168.1.nnn address range when install new routers.  However, some of these devices will be a pain just to figure out how to change the IP address.

Can I use the modem/routers 10.1.10.nnn address space so that none of the IP addresses need to be changed?   I know the modem needs to keep the 10.1.10.1 address (I guess) so I would start the DHCP address range at .2-250.

Is there a issue with this that might cause it to crash?

Thanks!

Darryl

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Router - IP address range

Your description wasn't that clear but you can use whatever IP range you prefer. 

And devices shouldn't need to get their own IP address. when they connect to the new device, it assigns them an IP address. 

Message 2 of 6
GaACETech
Tutor

Thanks for answering.

I'm replacing the current modem/router combo (from internet provider) with a newer router.

The scanners, printers, and plotters all have static IP addresses.  This equipment was setup by a the respective vendor.  Note 2 of the plotters have built-in laptops where the images are stored and processing for printing.

I would rather not have to change the static IPs on these devices/laptops.  

My question is can I use the current 10.1.10.nnn, with 10.1.10.1 being the modem/router, address range?  I use the 10.1.10.1 to login to the Arris modem/router.  So I would think I need to start the address space with .2 with.

Thanks for the help.

Darryl

Message 3 of 6

It still isn't that clear to me what you are doing, with that mix of IP addresses 10.1.10.1 and 192.168.1.1

@GaACETech wrote:

I'm replacing the current modem/router combo (from internet provider) with a newer router.

The scanners, printers, and plotters all have static IP addresses.  This equipment was setup by a the respective vendor.  Note 2 of the plotters have built-in laptops where the images are stored and processing for printing.

What were those fixed IP addresses? 10.1.10.XXX or 192.168.1.XXX?

If the IP address of the current modem/router combo? 10.1.10.1, is that what the devices were fixed to work with?

@GaACETech wrote:

My question is can I use the current 10.1.10.nnn, with 10.1.10.1 being the modem/router, address range?  I use the 10.1.10.1 to login to the Arris modem/router.  So I would think I need to start the address space with .2 with.

By default, your R7000 will try to squat on an IP address of 192.168.1.1

That isn't likely to be much use to devices with addresses fixed to work to the 10.1.10.1 router.

Putting the new router on 10.1.10.1 might be the easiest option.

If you want the R7000 simply to spread the wifi, then using that in AP mode would let the existing modem/router manage the network.

Message 4 of 6
GaACETech
Tutor

The current router is the modem/router from the internet provider.  It is set to 10.1.10.nnn range with the 10.1.10.nnn range for the network.

I'm replacing the internet provider's router with a new router.

Can I setup the new router with the same 10.1.10.nnn range?   Or is 10.1.10.nnn only used by internet providers?

All static devices and dynamically assigned devices are on the current IP range of 10.1.10.nnn.

The current modem is assessed by the 10.1.10.1 IP address (Comcast Xfinity modem/router).  That is why i was thinking I need to start the IP address space at 10.1.10.2 thru 254.  But removing the IPs used by static devices (which is 5 thru 30).  Thats easy.

Thanks for the help.  Hoping I'm making this clearer.

D

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya you could use same IP address string. 

I recommend setting the range to .100 thru .200. So you have room on either side for static IP addressed assigned devices. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7