djcabz
Aspirant

Set static DNS Server configuration while in AP Mode

Wondering how one would configure static DNS servers using the below Netgear:

Hardware Version R7900P
Firmware Version V1.4.1.68_1.3.28
GUI Language Version V1.4.1.66_2.1.46.1
Operation Mode AP

Currently I see the device has a previously configured DNS Server entry, but I've since updated my environment and the DNS server IP has changed.  Unfortunately I cannot access the DNS Server settings to update the IP address any of the links that would allow the update are greyed and not selectable. 

I haven't found any articles that speak to configuring the AP's DNS Server except in "router mode".  So is this a limitation/defect in the firmware?  Just to recap - I see old DNS Server entries, for a local DNS server and google server (8.8.8.8), I need to update those entries.   Other data points: 

• The netgear does not provide DHCP - I have a cisco switch that does that.
  • The netgear is not used as a router - I have my cable modem doing that.
  • The netgear should be an access point, bridging wireless to the wired.

All of this comes up because I noticed that in AP on the "Attached Devices" screen shows the same name for every device and I actually have reverse name resolution set for many of the IPs (on the new DNS server) - validated that that works as well from other systems - I just cannot get the netgear to point to it.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Re: Set static DNS Server configuration while in AP Mode

You cannot set DNS servers while in AP mode.. In this mode, the router basically acts as a (wireless) switch. Your main router handles all DNS requests

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
microchip8
Master

You cannot set DNS servers while in AP mode.. In this mode, the router basically acts as a (wireless) switch. Your main router handles all DNS requests

Message 2 of 4

@microchip8 wrote:

You cannot set DNS servers while in AP mode.

Yup.

It might help to read the full list of things that don't work in AP mode.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Mostly it is a consequence of disabling the router bit of the R7900P.

Message 3 of 4
djcabz
Aspirant

Thanks microchip8 - accepted your response as the solution.

That said, it does appear as the AP itself is using that legacy configuration of DNS Servers that or the R7900P has a bizarre logic in determining the hostname of connected wireless endpoints... 

I know the device is legacy at this point; yet, I do hope they release one more firmware that addresses any security issues AND allows the DNS Server that the R7900P is using itself for lookups to be modified.  I'd be happy if they made the configuration accessible only via the cli (hopefully saving time so they don't have to worry about modifications to the GUI 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7