Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WAN vlan tagging

Logical
Follower

WAN vlan tagging

There are lots of posts on this topic, but I have not found a definitive comment from Netgear.  I will just state what I have found relating to the need for a tagged VLAN on the WAN port.  We are fiber customers of major US telco providers. Their ONT, or PON tags its Ethernet output as tagged VLANS.  Each VLAN tag refers to a different feature such as phone service, IPTV, Internet service, etc.  For internet service, a customer connects to an Ethernet cable with a tagged VLAN which the router must accept on the WAN port.

The providers will install an inexpensive WiFi Router that DOES have VLAN tagging to interface with their optical equipment or PON.  We, your Netgear customers, have chosen to purchase a great Nighthawk unit, but have found that factory firmware won't connect.  Other router manufacturers currently provide this feature.  Open source firmware has provided this feature for years.  Reading the online user manual is of no help since it hasn't been updated since 2015.  Lots has happened since 2015. 

Whenever someone asks a question on tagged VLAN on WAN, they are directed to the user interface that sets up tagged VLAN on LAN, which is useless for the topic at hand.  I have never seen a direct answer on this topic, but it would be refreshing to see something like this:

a) we will be providing this feature in our next firmware update

b) only a handful of router customers need tagged VLAN on WAN.  Too much trouble for us.

c) Use open source firmware on your Nighthawk.  It works much better anyway.

d) Please purchase a WiFi router from manufacturer (X) because they include tagged VLAN on WAN

Happy New Year!

Logical

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Check the KB below for the VLAN tagging.

http://kb.netgear.com/25724/VLAN-tagging-setup-for-Nighthawk-router?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

For D6400, the settings are under ADVANCED > SETUP > VLAN/BRIDGE SETUP

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi Logical,

What is the model number of your Nighthawk router?

Message 2 of 5
Maumentum
Tutor

I also am interested to know if the D6400 and the Nighthawk X6 R8000 AC3200 Tri-Band support, have vLAN built into them by default?

Message 3 of 5
Maumentum
Tutor

I just read of someone configuring VLAN on one of there Nighthawk routers, if anyone knows how this was done can you provide me with information about, or means of emailing this person so I can too attempt this config?

Netgear Orbi on Vodafone New Zealand fibre, an they need VLAN enabled, even though I have fibre an I thought I could just plug this into my WAN port and config it right out of the box, I made the mistake of thinking my ONT box was enough to allow a router only to config my new network, this is incorrect becuase of VLAN tagging. Please help me work this out without having to purchase another modem router, as I feel my ISP Huawei doesn't play well with my Orbi, its ok but could be much better.

Message 4 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Check the KB below for the VLAN tagging.

http://kb.netgear.com/25724/VLAN-tagging-setup-for-Nighthawk-router?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

For D6400, the settings are under ADVANCED > SETUP > VLAN/BRIDGE SETUP

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7