Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless Internet Access from both an R8000 and a R6700

MartinaD
Aspirant

Wireless Internet Access from both an R8000 and a R6700

My current setup is the R8000 is hard wired to a cable modem (Spectrum model E31N2V1), with the 2.4GHz and both 5GHz broadcasting.  The R6700 is in a separate room with a printer.  The R6700 has both the 2.4GHZ and the 5GHz channels broadcasting.  Unfortunately, I have no way of running ethernet cable between the two.  Both routers have been updated to the latest firmware. 

I would like to use these two wifi routers (R8000 and R6700) to create a network with two purposes.  

1.  I would like to be able to access the internet by connecting to either router, either hard wired or wirelessly.    

2.  I would like to have a fixed TCP/IP address for a printer available from the remote router (the one that is not connected to the cable modem). 

I am not a total noob, but I am certainly not an expertl.  I am good at reading instructions generally.  I have not been able to find anything in either manual that has worked.  The setup that I thought would have worked was putting the R6700 in bridge mode, without making any changes to the R8000, but there was no internet access for either a hard wired or a wireless device connected to the R6700.  And, the R6700 did not show up on the list of connected devices on the R8000. I think I may need to make a change to the R8000, but I am not sure what to do.  

I am willing to switch the two router locations if that is necessary to get it to work.  

Any thoughts you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router, R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Wireless Internet Access from both an R8000 and a R6700

What version of the R6700 do you have? There was 3 versions. Versions 1 and 2 both supported extender/repeating mode. 

That's the mode you're looking for. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24108/How-do-I-enable-the-extender-mode-feature-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Bridge mode literally turns a router into a wireless bridge where it doesn't rebroadcast. it basically connects it back to the primary router over wireless and lets it function as a switch. 

The R8000 doesn't have extender/repeating mode. 

Message 2 of 5
MartinaD
Aspirant

The model I have is the R6700v2.  

So, if I understand you, this means I should connect the R6700 to the cable modem, set it up in repeater mode, and use the R8000 as the remote.  Correct? 

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

No. The R6700v2 would be the repeater. 

the R8000 would be primary router. 

Message 4 of 5
MartinaD
Aspirant

So, my R6700v2 has no repeater mode.  It has AP and Brdige mode, but not Repeater mode.

I would welcome other suggestions, but I may not be able to do what I want with these two routers.  

Thannks for trying to help, @plemans.  I really appreciate it.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7