Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

best wifi encryption?

Larry75
Aspirant

best wifi encryption?

Hello everyone.

What is the strongest encryption for WiFi and why?
Please site a source for your statement.

Thank you.

WPA2-PSK (AES)
WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES)
WPA/WPA2 Enterprise
WPA3-Personal
WPA2-PSK(AES) + WPA3-Personal

Message 1 of 9
Larry75
Aspirant

Re: best wifi encryption?

I already looked it up. No clear answer.

My guess, strongest probably is

WPA2-PSK(AES) + WPA3-Personal

Am I right?

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

both have vulnerabilities currently. I'd say wpa3 is more secure as there's more tools for cracking wpa2 password currently so the general masses know more about them but there's tools for both. 

But more importantly is just choosing a smart password for your network. 

Many times its simple guesses that get people access to networks or even not having a password at all. 

Its just like at a home, you can't make it fully 100% safe from robbers but you can do your best to dissuade the general public and make it hard enough that it isn't worth their time. 

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

The only reason to operate mixed mode like WPA2-PSK(AES) + WPA3-Personal would be to continue clients not capable for operating WPA3-Personal clients, or having interoperability issues limitations.

Message 5 of 9
Larry75
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply's.

I already use a large password, over 40 characters.

Security researchers recommend WPA2-PSK (AES) with a long password. WPA3-Personal does not seem to be recommended.

Does using WPA2-PSK(AES) + WPA3-Personal provide stronger encryption compared to just using WPA2-PSK(AES)?

Say a person was close to my router (outside a building) snooping my WiFi signals in transit to it's final destination, they would only be getting encrypted data.  Question is, does using two protocols make it stronger than using one?

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Larry75 wrote:

Security researchers recommend WPA2-PSK (AES) with a long password. WPA3-Personal does not seem to be recommended.

Get some more readings and study - WPA3-Personal is lightyears ahead, look into Simultaneous Authentication of Equals (SAE) method.

Even the Opportunistic Wireless Encryption (OWE, Enhanced Open) - without the need for knowing a password (where no access restrictions need to be applied) - does provide the same protection like WPA3 over the air.

@Larry75 wrote:

Does using WPA2-PSK(AES) + WPA3-Personal provide stronger encryption compared to just using WPA2-PSK(AES)?

Nope, the "+" notation isn't a mathematic "feature additions". This is to allow WPA2-Personal clients to operate along the WPA3-Personal clients.

Message 7 of 9
Larry75
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

Basically, you are telling the best wifi security option is WPA3-Personal with a really long password?

You also say

WPA2-PSK(AES) + WPA3-Personal (in that configuration)  is designed for compatibility, not for enhanced security? Do you have source on that statement, I wish to further read upon it.

Thanks.

Message 8 of 9

@Larry75 wrote:

Basically, you are telling the best wifi security option is WPA3-Personal with a really long password?

Do you have any particular reason for  being worried about wifi security?

If so you might like to think about some of the belt and braces options that people like Netgear are happy to sell to the terminally paranoid.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7