Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 light switching between blue and red

kickns
Aspirant

MR60 light switching between blue and red

MR60 running firmware version 1.1.7.134 with two MS60 running same version

Accessing via iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 17.4.1 and MacBook Pro running macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

MR60 has developed a condition where the light will switch from blue to red, stay there for a few minutes, then switch back to blue.  There appears to be no issues with my Internet service and my WiFi is very good.  In conjunction with this, my Nighthawk app on my iPhone is having problems finding and connecting with the MR60. This happens even when the light is blue.  I deleted and re-installed the app.  This did not seem to fix the problem.  I do have Access Anywhere turned on.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MR60 light switching between blue and red

The LED going red means the MR has lost good internet services from the modem or the modem has stopped giving good internet services to the MR router. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Ask the ISP to check there logs when you happen to see this on the MR. 

Also check the MRs logs when this happens as well to see if it reports a Internet Connection entry during this time frame. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 6
kickns
Aspirant

I have been using a Motorola MB8600 modem for the past 3 years or so.  I am seeing that the upload/download lights on the modem are flashing blue from time to time.  I will replace the cable with a new Cat6 cable.  I have already tried the power down/up sequence but will do it again after replacing the cable.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check signal, quality and modem logs and such to make sure the modem and signal up to the modem is good. The MR depends on this and is probably reporting this when you see the red LED on the MR. 

Message 4 of 6
kickns
Aspirant

In the course of doing all of your suggested actions, I discovered that the coax on the back of the modem was slightly loose.  Duh.  I tightened it and rebooted everything.   I will contact the ISP to see if they can diagnosis it.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

That could be one cause. Hopefully that was it. 

Good Luck.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7