× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

PS5 download taking all the bandwidth. How do I limit download speed?

Cwolf
Aspirant

PS5 download taking all the bandwidth. How do I limit download speed?

I have a Nighthawk MK83 system. The PS5 is hardwired/ethernet to a multi ethernet splitter up on the third floor. That ethernet is being run from the main router on the bottom floor to the third floor splitter. I also have a satellite on the 3rd floor but faster to plug in. When my son downloads games it takes all the bandwidth and no other device can use the internet. Didn't use to be like this. I get 400MBS download speed via Spectrum cable. Can I throttle the Ps5 download speed on a hardwire connection. Or should we switch the PS5 to wireless (mesh satellite) and be able to throttle it then? Appreciate the help!

Message 1 of 12

Re: PS5 download taking all the bandwidth. How do I limit download speed?

@Cwolf wrote:

I get 400MBS download speed via Spectrum cable. Can I throttle the Ps5 download speed on a hardwire connection.

With that Internet speed you shouldn't need go throttle anything.

I'm afraid I can't follow all those switch connections – diagrams are a great help – so it might help to start by explaining  a bit more about your network.

Start with telling people what modem/router/ONT sits between the MK80 and the Internet.

Message 2 of 12
Cwolf
Aspirant

There is the Spectrum Cable modem (Model ET 2251)Technicolor DOCSIS 3.1 modem with a Broadcom chipset and 2.5G Ethernet port to the Nighthawk base wireless router. Then you have ethernet coming out of the Nighthawk router to a Cat 5 (house is wired for connectivity) that runs up the wall to the third floor. Then a multi ethernet splitter plugged into that Cat 5 and the PS5 directly plugged into that splitter. Hope that helps. 

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router and rest of house. CAT6 is recommended. 

CAT5 only officially supports 100Mpbs. This would not be good for best performances and operation. 

Message 4 of 12
Cwolf
Aspirant

Installation was from a customer installer so it could be Cat6. Everything on this wired network works great so it's not a cabling issue. 

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You would need to verify that though. 

Message 6 of 12
Cwolf
Aspirant

Either way, cabling is not the issue though. Most likely it is a setting on the router that could limit the PS5. 

Message 7 of 12

@Cwolf wrote:

Installation was from a customer installer so it could be Cat6. Everything on this wired network works great so it's not a cabling issue. 

There have been cases of people advised to get the latest go-fast cables only to find that it was an expensive waste of time.

Indeed, I have yet to see anyone report back here with a "That's what fixed it." So I approach those exhortations with a truckload of salt, certainly a red herring to leave until  after you have looked at much more likely issues.

If your network usually does 400 Mbps when the PS5 isn't messing around, why would the cables suddenly throttle things?

In this case, the  modem does not seem to be one of those complicated modem.routers.

Do you see any messages from other devices when the PS5 kicks in? Have you tried using the PS5 on different ethernet ports to see if that affects speeds?

You also said "Didn't use to be like this." That is more evidence that cables aren't the issue and points back at something that has changed on your network.

Have you tried the usual basic tricks? Reset the network in the right order, reset the router and reconfigure?

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Run a Speed test on the MRs web page. 

QoS is mostly automatic on the MK systems. Nothing to configure. 

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What brand and model is this "multi ethernet splitter" thats in the mix? 

Message 10 of 12
Cwolf
Aspirant

Yeah, I am probably going to have my son switch to wireless on the PS5 and see what happens. Most likely there is a setting issue somewhere, I was thinking QOS as well but as you said, that is automated. This is not a huge issue as he is just here for the summer and he can download when everyone is asleep, but I like to find out what the actual deal is. Thx. 

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What brand and model is this "multi ethernet splitter" thats in the mix?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7