Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1900 intermittent and slow speed

javierHD
Aspirant

AC1900 intermittent and slow speed

Nighthawk AC 1900 Smart WIFI Router Model R7000 purchased on or about Nov 2019. Currently on version V1.0.11.122_10.2.100

For several months now dropping internet connection (not dropping the Wifi) and, not at all providing the speed supported by the ISP which is about 200Mbps.

In 2020 I was getting speeds of 200Mbps, and now I get at most 30-50 Mbps, wired or wireless the problems shows up.

Called customer support on early 2021 and they advised to replace the switch and also to buy a mesh extender.  All this for nothing. Waste of money.

Called cutomer support again and they told me that I am out of warranty.  Not sure why Netgear puts this bug on the device as opposed to the Firmware upgrade.  This is a problem shown on threads at least since 2018.

Customer support advised to downgrade to R7000-V1.0.11.106_10.2.100 which I did and within a day, problem is back.

I have tried many of the advise on this forum (thanks for all the attempts)  and just nothing works for me.  Now I decided last for a hard reset after upgrading to the latest version V1.0.11.122_10.2.100 only to find out the device will not respond to the hard reset.  The hard reset also not possible on version 1.0.11.106 so I went all the way to R7000-V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 for the hard reset to work.  I have also tried enabling and disabling of QoS, currently disabled, that did not work with or without reset and update of database.

Now what shall I do?  The amount of feedback provided on this device and no support for such an expensive device is not appreciated.

I hope Netgear sees this post and responds with a reliable solution. 

any help would be appreciated...TIA

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
Bill-D
Apprentice

Re: AC1900 intermittent and slow speed

Here's a set of rules that helped me get my R7000 healthy:

Factory reset and hard reset are the same thing.  Can be done either way:

• Paper clip press for 8 to 10 seconds until all lights go out and then release
  • Log into the router, go to ADVANCED > Administration > Backup Settings and click Erase.

Factory reset only clears configuration settings.  It does not bring back the original FW.

• The router only holds one FW version at a time.  There is no ROM to store original FW.

It's a good idea to perform a factory reset before and after installing FW.

• Reset before installing FW ensures minimal configuration incompatibility
  • Reset before installing FW maximizes the odds of a successful install without bricking the router
  • Reset after installing FW ensures that old, incompatible configuration settings are wiped out.

Do not restore configuration from a file, because the file is tied to the FW version that generated it.

• You must re-enter all your configuration settings by hand.

My R7000 has been on '116 for 3 months and it's been working well.

Message 2 of 6
javierHD
Aspirant

@Bill-D The ony thing I did not perform was erase the Backup Settings.  Thank you for the recommendation, will come back w an update...

Message 3 of 6
javierHD
Aspirant

@Bill-D Thank you for the advise but unfortunately no change.  Worked for about a week and then started all over again.  Today dropped my internet connection 4 times, and at least 1 time every day if not otherwise poor wifi speeds.

I guess the solution is get a new router, not by NetGear this time.

Message 4 of 6
javierHD
Aspirant

Any recommendations on use of Smart Connect

Also, any recommendations for Channels?

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
Bill-D
Apprentice

I've always had my Smart Connect unchecked and I've always used different SSID names for my 2.4 and 5Ghz networks.

I have my Channels both on Auto.  I also have always had my Implicit BEAMFORMING and AIRTIME FAIRNESS unchecked.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7