Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best CFW for R7000 with Hardware NAT

slyronit
Aspirant

Best CFW for R7000 with Hardware NAT

I have a Nighthawk R7000 and have recently started looking for custom firmwares for it, basically for different Vlans on the Lan. I tried

Kong's WRT- My 1G internet link couldn't exceed 500Mbps, no matter what. On further research, turns out this firmware doesn't support hardware NAT. CPU was at 100% at 500M, and at 90 degrees C. Also, 5Ghz didn't go above 150mbps even 5 feet from the router.

Tomato by Shiby-this doesn't seem to have the NAT CPU issue, but my 5Ghz performance was significantly lower than stock. My Windows devices generally connect above 800mbps at my study table, but with this didn't cross 200mbps. I tried toggling and playing with different settings, to no avail (same channel as stock). I saw there was no mention of beamforming, could that be the reason?

Are there any other firmwares I can try which do NAT in hardware and support beamforming?
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: Best CFW for R7000 with Hardware NAT

Check this link -  you can cool the R7000 with AC Infinity dual USB fans. Amazon carries them. All my R7000's have 2 of the small USB fans under the router. Works great.  Temps around 47C - 52C depending on ambient temperature.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Check this link -  you can cool the R7000 with AC Infinity dual USB fans. Amazon carries them. All my R7000's have 2 of the small USB fans under the router. Works great.  Temps around 47C - 52C depending on ambient temperature.

Message 2 of 5
slyronit
Aspirant

Thanks, but that is not an optimal solution. It wouldn't let me utilize my ISP's full bandwidth for one.
Message 3 of 5
netwrks
Master

If you don't like the Xvortex firmware (link I posted in first response), consider purchasing a Ubiquity ERX  (it does everything you want to do) and configure your R7000 as an Access Point, with latest stock firmware

Message 4 of 5
slyronit
Aspirant

Thanks. I will give that firmware a try. I will get the fans you recommended anyways.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7