Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't assign printer an ip address

Sharvy
Aspirant

Can't assign printer an ip address

I'm trying to configure a wd-3620 Epson printer. I don't have an Ethernet port so I can only connect wirelessly. In attached devices, Nighthawk sees the printer, and sees the printer's MAC address, but assigns it no IP address.  The printer is also designated "Allowed" access, in access control. Thinking there might be so IP conflict, under LAN Setup I added a reserved unique IP for the printer ( 192.168.1.9) assigned to the printer's MAC address, but that didn't help--when I look at "attached devices" there is still no IP assigned to the printer. 

The printer is listed as a 2.4GHz connection. I tried changing both the 2.4 and 5GHz channels.  Still no go.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sharvy

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can't assign printer an ip address

I recommend that you set a STATIC IP address ON the printer using the printers menu control panel. If your NR router is using 192.168.1.### address pool then change the printers address to 192.168.1.36 or .20. I recommend changeing the routers IP address pool from 192.168.1.2 thru .254 instead to 192.168.1.100 thru .200. Then you can assign Static IP addressed to devices outside of the IP address pool. Cameras, NAS and printers can be set for static IP addresses since they dont' need much or if any router management or controls. .100 thru .200 still leaves you pleanty of addresses for Revervation IP addresses.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
netwrks
Master

It sounds like it did not authenticate using wireless passphrase...

Message 2 of 10
Sharvy
Aspirant

@netwrks wrote:

It sounds like it did not authenticate using wireless passphrase...

Well I also set it up from the printer side: the printer sees the SSID and I entered the password.  Also both my iphone and laptop see the printer and I can print over the wifi. Apparently it's working through Bonjour.  But it bothers me that I can't assign it a network ip address.

Message 3 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It might be just a glitch in the GUI. 

Do the printer get an IP address when you check its settings?

I connected my printer and it shows the IP of 192.168.1.4. 

By the way, which signal is your printer connected to (2.4GHz or 5GHz)?

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the router?

Message 4 of 10
Sharvy
Aspirant

Thanks Elaine.

When I look at Attached Devices I get the same chart.  Every field for every device is filled in, except for the printer in the 2.4GHz category.  That has its correct MAC address (and the status is Allowed) but the IP Address field just has a simple dash, no numbers. All of the other 7 devices have a displayed IP address. I tried switching to the 2.4GHz SSID (from the 5GHz) but it doesn't help.  I really don't want to do a reset, since I fiddled around with the channels and made some other custom settings. The printer is connecting and working over my Bonjour network, but it's still bothersome that I can't get the printer to display an IP. I assume there must be some conflict, but I can't tell what it is.  When I go to the printer to display its network settings, it says it has the IP address 192.168.0.105. Hmmmm .... that's not in the range of the DHCP server in LAN setup.  That range is 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.254.  So maybe explains why it's not showing up. But I tried adding a reserved DCHP address 192.168.1.9 with the the printer's MAC address, making sure to hit "apply", but that didn't help.

Message 5 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's strange if it has a different IP range.

It should have the 1.x range unless it's connected to another wireless device. 

Do you have another wireless router in your network? It could be your modem that might be broadcasting the same SSID. 

Message 6 of 10
Sharvy
Aspirant

@ElaineM wrote:

That's strange if it has a different IP range.

It should have the 1.x range unless it's connected to another wireless device. 

Do you have another wireless router in your network? It could be your modem that might be broadcasting the same SSID. 

Well the router config page shows the modem as:  (that's the MAC address of the modem) So the IP is dynamically assigned by the ISP

MAC Address :1B:6D

IP Address 45.xx.xxx.138 

Connection DHCP

IP Subnet Mask 255.255.224.0 

Domain Name Server 2xx.xx.xx.61
2xx.xx.xx.62

****************************************************************************************************************************************

But when I access the printer configuration page I see.  So I don't know why

Printer Name :

EPSON46F

Connection Status :

Wi-Fi-72Mbps

Signal Strength :

Excellent

Obtain IP Address :

Manual

IP Address :

Subnet Mask :

Default Gateway :

DNS Server Setting :

Manual

Primary DNS Server :

Secondary DNS Server :

DNS Host Name Setting :

Manual

DNS Host Name :

EPSON46184F

DNS Domain Name Setting :

Manual

DNS Domain Name :

Register the network interface address to DNS :

Disable

Proxy Server Setting :

Do Not Use

IPv6 Setting :

Enable

IPv6 Privacy Extension :

Disable

IPv6 Address :

::/0

IPv6 Address Default Gateway :

::

IPv6 Link-Local Address :

fe80::xxxxxxxxxxx

I can't see that the modem has anything to do with SSID's assigned by the router. So I don't know why the printer 

has a Primary DNS Server as 192.168.0.1 or the printer is assigned 192.168.0.105.  Are those assigned by Epson as a factory default setting?  Can I change it so it shows up in the router config page?

Thanks,

Sharvy

Message 7 of 10
VE6CGX
Master

When printer is working , that means it got an ip address whatever it maybe. Now run ipscan and see what that ip address is.

Assign that ip address,  After that you can change it to  an ip address you want. In my case I have two printers. That is how I did it.

Message 8 of 10
Sharvy
Aspirant

@VE6CGX wrote:

When printer is working , that means it got an ip address whatever it maybe. Now run ipscan and see what that ip address is.

Assign that ip address,  After that you can change it to  an ip address you want. In my case I have two printers. That is how I did it.

Yes, going to the printer and looking at its setup, it is assigned to 192.168.0.105.  I assume that's a factory preset.  How do I change its IP address?

Thanks,

Reed

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend that you set a STATIC IP address ON the printer using the printers menu control panel. If your NR router is using 192.168.1.### address pool then change the printers address to 192.168.1.36 or .20. I recommend changeing the routers IP address pool from 192.168.1.2 thru .254 instead to 192.168.1.100 thru .200. Then you can assign Static IP addressed to devices outside of the IP address pool. Cameras, NAS and printers can be set for static IP addresses since they dont' need much or if any router management or controls. .100 thru .200 still leaves you pleanty of addresses for Revervation IP addresses.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7