Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't make R7900 into AP!

Jedi215
Aspirant

Can't make R7900 into AP!

Got a XR500 to make my R7900 into an AP. After setting up the XR500, and following directly directions for setting up the R7900 as an AP, I can't log in to the 7900. Even after doing a reset to see if it helps, nothing. PC sees it in IE browser as me trying to login to the XR500. Using chrome, it just keeps going back to log in. Been at this for hours. What am I missing. Following directions from How to set up a Nighthawk as a AP.
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't make R7900 into AP!

@Jedi215 wrote:
I can't access the R7900 to make the selection to AP.

Reset the R7900. Connect the R7900, and only the R7900, to a PC. Then you should be able to access the R7900 with the browser interface and put it into AP mode.

Then move stuff to where you want it. The R7900 will remember that it is supposed to be in AP mode.

When evereything is set up, you should be able to access the R7900 by finding its IP address on the network and using that to browse its controls.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 18

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

For what it's worth [Netgear KB 24104] How do I change my Nighthawk router to AP mode after I’ve already run setup? (applicable to the R7900).

Key is what is mentioned in the notes:

===

Note: After you click Apply, the AP device will change to a new IP assigned by your existing router. The NETGEAR genie web interface may no longer be available. If needed, close the browser and log into the AP again via http://www.routerlogin.nethttp://www.routerlogin.com, or by typing the IP address of the AP into the browser.
===

This is misleading - the routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com can only work if you are connected (ie. wireless) to the Access Point. Check your XR500 for the Attached Devices - thre you can find the TCP/IP address assigned to the now wireless AP LAN management address. A factory reset does cause a problem the extant that you might have teo devices on the network with the same default TCP/IP address, commonly 192.168.1.1.  So following a factory reset, there is no way to disconnect the R7900 from the XR500 network, connect a computer to it's Wireless (default network name and passphrase is visible on the label), and then run the conversion process from router to an Access Point  again.

Message 2 of 18
Jedi215
Aspirant

Thank you. I will give this a try later. I'm still extremely aggravated from hrs of torture. May even wait till tomorrow, Lol.
Message 3 of 18

Message 4 of 18
antinode
Guru

> Got a XR500 to make my R7900 into an AP. [...]

Eh?  Does that mean that you got an XR500 to use as a router, and you
have an old R7900 which you want to configure as a wireless access
point?  (Because getting an XR500, by itself, would not "make [your]
R7900 into an AP".)

> [...] following directly directions for setting up the R7900 as an AP,

Which "directions [...]"?  Which choices did you make?

> [...] I can't log in to the 7900.

When you do what, exactly?  "can't" is not a useful useful problem
description.  It does not say what you did.  It does not say what
happened when you did it.  As usual, showing actual actions with their
actual results (error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful
than vague descriptions or interpretations.

> [...] Even after doing a reset to see if it helps, nothing. [...]

"doing a reset" on what?  The XR500?  The R7900?  (Re: "nothing", see
"can't", above.)

> [...] What am I missing. [...]

What, exactly, are you doing?

> [...] log into the AP again via http://www.routerlogin.net,
> http://www.routerlogin.com,

I don't see how that could work.

> [...] or by typing the IP address of the AP into the browser.

_That_ could work.  (_If_ you know that IP address.)

> This is misleading - the routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com can only
> work if you are connected (ie. wireless) to the Access Point. [...]

Not even then, I'd say.  I'd expect those "routerlogin.{com|net}"
names to work only to access the router (acting as a DNS server), never
to access a WAP.

> [...] PC sees it in IE browser as me trying to login to the XR500.

That's what I'd expect from any "routerlogin.{com|net}" names.  To
access the WAP, I'd expect to need to use its (new) LAN IP address.

Given that, I'd avoid that KB article, and stick to the instructions
in the router User Manual.

When an R7900 is put into WAP mode (ADVANCED > Advanced Setup >
Wireless AP), you decide whether to let the R7900-as-WAP get a LAN IP
address from your (router's) DHCP server ("Get dynamically from existing
router"), or to give it its LAN IP address yourself ("Enable fixed IP
settings on this device (not recommended)").  If you specify the
default, "Get dynamically [...]", then you'd need to extract its LAN IP
address from an "Attached Devices" (or "DHCP Clients", or similar)
report on the "existing router".

For future convenience, you might want to assign a reserved address
for the WAP in the (router's) DHCP server.

Alternatively, you could specify a (static) address "Enable fixed IP
settings [...]"). in which case, you'd know that address.  If you do
that, then you'll want to shrink the DHCP pool (on the XR500) from its
usual default (".2" - ".254") to something smaller (like, say, ".2" -
".199"), and then use an address from the non-pool range (".200" -
".254") for the R7900-as-WAP.

> [...] I'm still extremely aggravated from hrs of torture. [...]

Faulty instructions can do that.

Message 5 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@antinode wrote:

Faulty instructions can do that.

...as well as a factory reset of the router, which does reset the LAN interface to 192.168.1.1/24 ... while having this connected to the XR500 LAN which does (by default, most keep this default anyway) make use of the very same IP address.

Message 6 of 18
antinode
Guru

> ...as well as a factory reset of the router, which does reset the LAN
> interface to 192.168.1.1/24 ... while having this connected to the XR500
> LAN which does (by default, most keep this default anyway) make use of
> the very same IP address.

Not really.  If the freshly reset R7900 is left in router mode, and
its WAN interface were connected to a router which is using the
192.168.1.0/24 subnet, then I'd expect the R7900 to choose a different
LAN subnet.  ("10.0.0.0/24" would be my guess.)

In many cases, it can be helpful actually to try these things before
asserting what will happen when someone else tries them.

None of which seems to be relevant to the reported problem.

Message 7 of 18
schumaku
Guru

If, and only if they use the future AP router device WAN port. The restriction requiring to use the WAN port for AP configuration does not exist on the Nighthawk routers anymore. And the "loss" of ability to manage (hang in the early login state) is talk a clear language.

Message 8 of 18
Jedi215
Aspirant

Wow. I dont know if I uderstand it all, LOL, Sorrry

The XR500 is the main one and Im trying to use the R700 as an AP. I reset the R7900 and I cant get back into it. Im using the directions in https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

but this has not worked. I did it first without resetting the R7900 then I reset the R7900 and nothinng.

Message 9 of 18
Jedi215
Aspirant

Havent tried this yet, but if I understand you correctly, I cant use the same PC to access the R7900 for AP mode? Im using the directions from here https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

and this does not work. Should I use a different PC and if I do, does it have to be online?

Message 10 of 18

@Jedi215 wrote:

Havent tried this yet, but if I understand you correctly, I cant use the same PC to access the R7900 for AP mode?

Not sure that this is correct.

If the R7900 is in AP mode, it will pick up its IP address from the router, the grossly overpriced and supremely ugly XR500, which is an R7800 with flashy firmware.

Look at the XR500's attached devices list for the R7800's IP address. Feed that address into your browser and you may find yourself magically connected to the browser interface for the R7900.

What do you want to do to the R7900? Remember, an AP mode there's a lot it can't do.

Message 11 of 18
Jedi215
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I wanted the R7900 as an AP upstairs. When I have the 7900 hooked up, and I'm looking at the XR500 settings, it gives the 7900 a MAC address, but no IP. Can't log in to the 7900 at all. The XR500's signal is not as strong upstairs. I have an old R6200 upstairs but is giving me alot of disconnect issues with all my devices so I purchased the XR500 to use as my main router downstairs and want to move the R7900 off as the main router and use it upstairs. XR500 reaches upstairs but having a router ustairs is so much better. If you see the link I posted, that's exactly to the T how I did it and it doesn't work. I can't access the R7900 to make the selection to AP. I regret now buying the XR but its done, and I love the 2 USB ports. I can access the movies on it from my smart TV upstairs. If wondering, I have Ethernet ports in every room of my place and thats how I have upstairs AP hooked up. I want to retire the current R6200 upstairs.
Message 12 of 18

@Jedi215 wrote:
I can't access the R7900 to make the selection to AP.

Reset the R7900. Connect the R7900, and only the R7900, to a PC. Then you should be able to access the R7900 with the browser interface and put it into AP mode.

Then move stuff to where you want it. The R7900 will remember that it is supposed to be in AP mode.

When evereything is set up, you should be able to access the R7900 by finding its IP address on the network and using that to browse its controls.

Message 13 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Jedi215 wrote:
I can't access the R7900 to make the seAbout what I lection to AP.

About what I wrote in the first reply (#2) already....albeit a little bit cryptic.

Message 14 of 18

@schumaku wrote:

About what I wrote in the first reply (#2) already....albeit a little bit cryptic.

Indeed, I thought that was about using the wifi interface.

Simplest is easiest.

Message 15 of 18
Jedi215
Aspirant

This sounds like it could work. Will give it a try when I get home from work today. Thanks.
Will update.
Message 16 of 18
Jedi215
Aspirant

Michaelkenward!!!
This did it. I'm finally done with this. Everything so far is working fine. I thought the AP had to be online for this to work. I connected the PC to the LAN port and that's it. It works. Thanks to all for the replies. ( almost crying) Lol
Message 17 of 18

That's good news. Glad it worked out. Sorry it took so long.

The real message here is that Netgear needs to get its act together and come up with simpler explanations of what to do.

We can't all be network experts. I'm not, and this stuff makes my brain hurt.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7