Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Channel Selection Limited on R7000

dmoody
Tutor

Channel Selection Limited on R7000

The channels available are extremely limited for 5 GHz (36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, and 161). There are a slew of channels that common Wi-Fi analyzers recommend that seem to be unavailable on this router. How can I configure my router to use, for instance, channel 52? If it is not possible in the netgear firmware, are there any other firmware images that may make that available (such as DD-WRT), or is it a hardware limitation? Any details are appreciated.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: Channel Selection Limited on R7000

The FCC has been on vendors to lock down and only allow channels by country. Particularly (US) /  North America. Best to use (non-DFS) channels 149-161 for 5ghz.

Wifi channels by country: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

How Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) works: http://www.wi-fi.org/knowledge-center/faq/how-does-dfs-work

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Channel Plans are set by the FCC in the states as for the others countries I have no idea. One could asssume you're located in the States and 52 is Not available.

Message 2 of 7
netwrks
Master

The FCC has been on vendors to lock down and only allow channels by country. Particularly (US) /  North America. Best to use (non-DFS) channels 149-161 for 5ghz.

Wifi channels by country: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

How Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) works: http://www.wi-fi.org/knowledge-center/faq/how-does-dfs-work

Message 3 of 7
dmoody
Tutor

Well that's annoying. I get it and all, just annoying that I can't use the best channel because it *could* interfere w/ weather and Military stuff. So do the different firmware's for different regions behave differently or have a different set of channels available?

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@dmoody wrote:

Well that's annoying. I get it and all, just annoying that I can't use the best channel because it *could* interfere w/ weather and Military stuff. So do the different firmware's for different regions behave differently or have a different set of channels available?

This is exactly why the FCC mandates they be locked down by region so people like you can't cause a problem. If enough of your kind felt they had to break the rules it would cause a problem.

Your wifi analyzer is nothing but a cheap app that counts router beacons per channel and then makes a recommendation that most users thinks is gospel.

Message 5 of 7
dmoody
Tutor

Haha, wow! I struck a nerve with you! I get what the analyzer does and understand interference. Thanks for not answering my question, but instead attacking me personally. Lol. Relax man, I'm not taking down radar systems.
Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Sorry but, You don't get how the analyzer works unless yours cost over $1000 it's an app and is only capable of counting beacons and then suggest a channel with least amount of them ( WIFI routers) it cannot detect any actual interfering carriers or noise floor other than WIFI while a true WIFI analyzer can detect any rf in the channel.

Yes! your router alone, would likely never cause a problem by itself, But if the channel was used as other approved channels are the sum of all those devices's signals would rise above an area and cause problems. When CATV was expanding and started using channels in air craft band a plane flying over a major city picked up HBO audio on one of it's radios. Soon afterward the CLI AKA "Cumulative Leakage Index" was born and became Law. All operators had to lower the output power and or stop using those channels.

Didn't mean to jump on you But the annoying comment was as if you were special and the rules were for others not you.

Router Channels Matter

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7