Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Computer connects to router but no Internet connection

dchemphill1
Aspirant

Computer connects to router but no Internet connection

I am not sure if I have the exact model of the nighthawk router, but anyway here is the issue.  If we connect directly (wired) to the router we can get on the internet, if we try wifi on the tv, cell phone, computer etc.... we can get connected to wifi but no data flows via wifi.  We had some power outages and the internet company came out and said the modem was bad, hooked a new modem up and it worked fine, but same issue with the router....is it possible the wifi part of the router got fried or is there some setting that I can change to have data flow via wifi???

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
dchemphill1
Aspirant

Re: Computer connects to router but no Internet connection

Got it working. The reset and start from scratch along with an update did the trick.

Thanks All

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
myersw
Master

Getting to the Internet via a wired connection to the router says the modem and router are basiclly ok. I am sure you have power cycled the router with no change. There is a possibilty that with the power issue you had the configuration in the router may have gotten corrupted. I would suggest a reset of the router and a reconfiguration not using a backup. 

Message 2 of 8
dchemphill1
Aspirant

So that means hardwire into router and set up like it is new out fo the box?

Message 3 of 8
antinode
Guru

> I am not sure if I have the exact model of the nighthawk router, [...]

Look at the product label on the router?

> [...] we can get connected to wifi but no data flows via wifi. [...]

How, exactly, did you determine this?  What, exactly, did you do?
What, exactly, happened when you did it?

> [...] is it possible the wifi part of the router got fried or is there
> some setting that I can change to have data flow via wifi???

Yes.

> [...] reset [...]

> So that means hardwire into router and set up like it is new out fo
> the box?

It means reset the settings, and configure it as if it were new.
This should be possible with a wired or wireless connection between the
computer and the router.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual, and look for something like
"Factory Settings".  Then the section(s) on router configuration.

Message 4 of 8
dchemphill1
Aspirant

I would give all the numbers if I were at home with the router and an internet connection. Unfortunately at work trying to get some tips before heading home.

We determined that we could get on the wifi by putting in the generic password after the reset.  Devices could see the router and got the green check mark on phones, but no data would load and speed test showed no data flow at all.  Same on our TV...accessed the wifi but showed no internet.

I appreciate the assistance...driving me nuts....been several days of trying to get things to work.

Message 5 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] Devices could see the router and got the green check mark on
> phones, but no data would load and speed test showed no data flow at
> all. [...]

But a computer with a wired connection to the router (_not_ directly
to the modem) works properly?

Message 6 of 8
William10a
Master

@dchemphill1 wrote:

I am not sure if I have the exact model of the nighthawk router, but anyway here is the issue.  If we connect directly (wired) to the router we can get on the internet, if we try wifi on the tv, cell phone, computer etc.... we can get connected to wifi but no data flows via wifi.  We had some power outages and the internet company came out and said the modem was bad, hooked a new modem up and it worked fine, but same issue with the router....is it possible the wifi part of the router got fried or is there some setting that I can change to have data flow via wifi???

You mean you can connect a lan cable from the router not the modem correct and have the internet ?

You have done reset of the router and reset it up and the prolem is still there correct ?

If a firmware problem have you tried to reflash the the firmware on the router ?

Possible something was damaged in the wifi but you said the wifi transmitting with no internet content so part of the wifi circuits have to be working.

Would make sure every thing else was working correct before I would say the wifi was circuits were damage

Did you reboot the network in order after the modem replacement, modem first let fully boot, router next let fully boot and lastly let the your devices boot on the network ?

Message 7 of 8
dchemphill1
Aspirant

Got it working. The reset and start from scratch along with an update did the trick.

Thanks All
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7