Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Detecting new modem

jad12
Aspirant

Detecting new modem

I am running a Nighthawk router. My modem (Shaw Canada) is about to be upgraded. The first technician told me that the router would need to be manually configured to detect the new modem and its dns. Is that true? If it is how do I go about reconfiguring the router to make it work with the new modem?

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Detecting new modem

What modem is it connecting to? 

If its a modem only device its pretty simple. power off the modem and the router with nothing connected, then power on the modem and wait 2 minutes, then connect the router and power it on.

But if its a modem/router combo device, then its a different issue. 

Message 2 of 8
microchip8
Master

You don't provide any info?

Which router MODEL do you have?

Whhich firmware version on the router do you have?
Which modem MODEL are you getting?
What's your previous modem MODEL?

Usually routers are able to automatically firgure out the connection. If PPPOE is used, then you'll have to manually configure it. Instructions should be given by your ISP.

Message 3 of 8
jad12
Aspirant

Ok.  I will try the suggested approach and see what happens.

Current router is Nighthawk AC1900 Smart Wifi Router (R7000).

Switch is D-Link.

jad12_1-1664219525407.png

The new modem setup arrives on Wednesday.  It appears to be Gateway 2.0

jad12_0-1664219423035.png

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

from your specs, it appears to be a modem/router combo device. It'll cause a double nat in default mode. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 5 of 8
jad12
Aspirant

Thank you. I vaguely recall that I had to set the modem to pass through mode before (~ 4 years ago). Right now all attached items are on the router none on the modem.

Message 6 of 8
jad12
Aspirant

Does anyone have any insight into which option would be best for the wifi signal. Will the new Gateway 2 modem provide a much better wifi signal than the Nighthawk router, or vice versa? Or they both going to be about the same?

jad12_0-1664289331263.png

Message 7 of 8

@jad12 wrote:

Will the new Gateway 2 modem provide a much better wifi signal than the Nighthawk router, or vice versa?

Gateway 2 does not sound like a unique model number. The "gateway" word is generic. (Does the old Gateway computer business still exist?) More like a label tat the Internet service provider slaps on its generic boxes.

Shaw Fibre+ Gateway 2.0 - Hardware Overview

Looks like a combined all singing/all dancing box.

My guess is that you could get away without your R7000.

Try it and see. It would make life a lot simpler.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7