Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Enable DHCP for WiFi

GeorgiaJim
Aspirant

Enable DHCP for WiFi

Replaced HP LaserJet Printer on my LAN. Configured perfect off the Router, but when moved to other wired Ethernet remote 5-port hub (same house), the R7300DST couldn't see it. Default Printer config was IPv6. Remote location was off of a 5-Port hub. Always worked and still does for other devices connected to it (wired). HP tech advised that Printer must be reconfigured to IPv4 DHCP to be recognized anywhere on the LAN. Did so, and Printer worked, BUT when disabling Wired Ethernet adapter, and testing WiFi, the wireless capability fails with troubleshoot reason of "DHCP is not enabled for WiFi." Troubleshooter then disables DHCP feed to WiFi, and WiFi pops-in, but now the Printer doesn't work via either wired LAN or WiFi. Enabling Ethernet puts Printer back in service via either Wired LAN, or Ethernet off of the DST Adapter. How can I enable DHCP for WiFi capability of this Router? I saw no DHCP option in Management login, and nothing similar in other posts. Also, fairly heavy print loads, so Wired LAN is much preferred over Wireless.

Model: R7300DST|AC1900 DST Router and DST Adapter
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
GeorgiaJim
Aspirant

Re: Enable DHCP for WiFi

Problem resolved. Printer was obtaining a valid IP address, implying that the various LAN devices serving it were operating correctly. Computers on same LAN, all had Internet connectivity. Yet, sometimes printing worked, but none of the time did wireless work, after the printer seemed to be installed. Error on the wireless was "DHCP not installed".

The DHCP turned out to be a false indicator, it just couldn't synchronize with the computers via the wired/wireless Router interface.

Connected a plug-in Netgear DST Adapter (extender) near the printer (green light, lowest service), connected the Ethernet cable, and immediately the Printer recognized and displayed the IP address. This wasn't the case before (long delay). It told me that a wired LAN device was the problem. Pinged the 5-port Switch serving all at that location: 1st ping, yielded 4-of-4 failures; 2d ping, 2-of-4 failed, and the ones passing were very weak: No question about it, a deteriorating Switch with spotty service, weak at best, none at worst, but not consistent. Printer had no reliable electronic connectivity with the Router.

Replaced the Switch w/new Netgear GS605, and everything popped into place, including wireless. Had to reinstall printer software at other computers to ensure software was loaded correctly. Reboots syncronized all: USB, wired LAN, wireless LAN, wireless, and device (cell stuff) direct print, to include Apple Air Print, all popped-in without a glitch.

Resolved by replacing a wired Switch! HP unable to diagnose during their remote-access. I backbriefed the tech, and was told that they learned something, and would archive it for future use in trouble-shooting.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
microchip8
Master

DHCP should be working for both wired and wifi - there is no separate setting for wired/wireless as it is a global option. There's something else going on on your side but it's not clear from your badly worded post

Message 2 of 8
IrvSp
Master

More than likely the devices you are trying to print to it are using the OLD IP Address before you moved it? Did you set a physical IP Address in the printer or let it get its own via DHCP?

Might need to reinstall the printer on the devices after moving it or do something else inside the printer setup.

It wouldn't appear to be a router problem.

May be best to try HP Support forums on this?

Message 3 of 8

@IrvSp wrote:

Might need to reinstall the printer on the devices after moving it or do something else inside the printer setup.

That's my guess too. I'd just add that you may need to reset and reinstall the printer. In that way it forgets its old misspent youth working with other stuff.

When it comes to wifi, the usual way to fix wifi printers is to find the printer maker's utility, the software that runs on your operating system. Then use that to connect the printer to the wifi.

The router just broadcasts wifi. It is then down to the printer to play ball. There isn't much that you can do on a router, beyond fixing it to a particular IP address, that affects what the printer gets up to.

Message 4 of 8
GeorgiaJim
Aspirant

Printer reset many times, but in all cases it auto assigned the IP (different each time). Default setting was IPv6, but HP tech advised IPv4 DHCP, because of the LAN configuration, and that's where it's at now. After printing my taxes, will reset to original, and try with IPv6 to see what happens. Thanks.

Message 5 of 8

@GeorgiaJim wrote:

Printer reset many times, but in all cases it auto assigned the IP (different each time).

It should be possible to give the printer a fixed IP address. But that happens within the printer, not the router.

How to Set a Static IP for an HP LaserJet | Chron.com

Message 6 of 8
JoseAndres041
Luminary

Just reconfigure your printer port. Instead of using an IP address, use your printer name.

Message 7 of 8
GeorgiaJim
Aspirant

Problem resolved. Printer was obtaining a valid IP address, implying that the various LAN devices serving it were operating correctly. Computers on same LAN, all had Internet connectivity. Yet, sometimes printing worked, but none of the time did wireless work, after the printer seemed to be installed. Error on the wireless was "DHCP not installed".

The DHCP turned out to be a false indicator, it just couldn't synchronize with the computers via the wired/wireless Router interface.

Connected a plug-in Netgear DST Adapter (extender) near the printer (green light, lowest service), connected the Ethernet cable, and immediately the Printer recognized and displayed the IP address. This wasn't the case before (long delay). It told me that a wired LAN device was the problem. Pinged the 5-port Switch serving all at that location: 1st ping, yielded 4-of-4 failures; 2d ping, 2-of-4 failed, and the ones passing were very weak: No question about it, a deteriorating Switch with spotty service, weak at best, none at worst, but not consistent. Printer had no reliable electronic connectivity with the Router.

Replaced the Switch w/new Netgear GS605, and everything popped into place, including wireless. Had to reinstall printer software at other computers to ensure software was loaded correctly. Reboots syncronized all: USB, wired LAN, wireless LAN, wireless, and device (cell stuff) direct print, to include Apple Air Print, all popped-in without a glitch.

Resolved by replacing a wired Switch! HP unable to diagnose during their remote-access. I backbriefed the tech, and was told that they learned something, and would archive it for future use in trouble-shooting.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7