Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet ports flashing orange

Dmax32
Aspirant

Ethernet ports flashing orange

Ok so my problem is I have a ethernet cable that runs from my main router into a secondary router with a cat 6 cable into my bedroom but I can only get 90 mbps in the bedroom but I get 200+ mbps on my PS4 that is attached to the main router with the same type cat 6 cable. How can I make the ethernet in the bedroom faster?
Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Re: Ethernet ports flashing orange

Assuming the network cable is fine (all four pairs/eightstrands workable): Check make and model of the secondary router - well possible it has Fast Ethernet ports only. This is what the amber link LED are indicating.

Message 2 of 9
Dmax32
Aspirant

Well the secondary router is a n300 router that isn't fast link capable but even when I connect my laptop to the secondary router's ethernet cable it still flashes amber.
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

n300 is a speed. 

What model number is it?

what device are you plugging into that cable? Is it gigabit capable?

If you go primary router---->computer, does it connect at gigabit speeds? 

If you're going gigabit router------> n300 router (non gigabit)----->device 

Then the device is only going to connect at 10/100mbps speeds and not gigabit. 

Message 4 of 9
Dmax32
Aspirant

So secondary router is the Netgear WNR 2000. The secondary router push roughly 90mbps but even when I bypass the secondary router and go: main router ------> computer it still only pushes 90mbps.
Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

What computer is it?

Does it have an gigabit ethernet port? 

Have you checked the cable? Make sure its cat5e or greater. 

Message 6 of 9
Dmax32
Aspirant

The computer is a HP Omen with Realtek Gaming GbE Family controller adapter and all cables plugged into the main router is Cat 6
Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Dmax32 wrote:
So secondary router is the Netgear WNR 2000. The secondary router push roughly 90mbps ...

So this is it ... Tim wrote over 12 years ago on the WNR2000 "almost wirespeed routing on 100 Mb" ... 

An N300 WiFi made not half of that speed, so Fast Ethernet was the standard of choice back then. And Gigabit was not inexpensive at these times.

Last but not least: There was and is still no standard on Ethernet link speed indicator colours and layouts on the ports. 

@Dmax32 wrote:
even when I bypass the secondary router and go: main router ------> computer it still only pushes 90mbps.

if the computer does not negotiate a Gigabit Ethernet link it's very likely the computer does not have a Gigabit capable port, or the cabling is borked as explained several times in this thread already.

Message 8 of 9

@Dmax32 wrote:
So secondary router is the Netgear WNR 2000.

You will never get over 100 Mbps out of a WNR2000, which was first launched in 2008.

According to Netgear's manual for these devices, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. Newer devices support at least 1000BASE-TX.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7