Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender or Access Point or Router?

Extender or Access Point or Router?

Hello,

I have installed the EX7700 Extender and is extending my Wifi network successfully from my Virgin Media Router, now I am trying also to expand again my network to the summer house in my garden, then I installed a CAT5 cable from my house to the summer house to be able to bring internet to the summer house.

I bought a AC1200 Wifi extender to make the cable I bring into summer house a wifi transmiter, instead of connect my PC directly to the cable (The cable is connected from the same Virgin Media Router directly to the AC1200).

What I found is that the wifi was working perfect at the summer house and the home wifi was saying "no internet" and also asking for password and saying wrong password, in other words a mess as I am not able to have internet in both locations. 

I am wondering if this is because I used a AC1200 wifi extender and not a Wireless Access Point device or a router on bridge mode?

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Extender or Access Point or Router?

to keep it simple:

Extender: a device that picks up a wifi broadcast and rebroadcasts it. 

Access point: hardwired in via ethernet, powerline, moca adapters and broadcasts its own signal. 

Bridge: it picks up a wireless broadcast but doesn't re-broadcast. It just lets you use the ethernet ports on the device. 

If you've got a cable already ran, you want something to act as an access point. But most of netgears extenders (not all) have access point mode. As well as most routers have access point mode. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

AC1200 is a speed. which model did you buy? 

did you set it up in access point mode (the one in the summer house)?

Is the wifi that's saying "connected no internet" for the devices connected to the extender in the primary home? Does it matter if the devices connect to the router? do they work? 

Which virgin media router was it? 

Message 2 of 5

Apologies, the externer I installed in the summer house was theModel: EX6120

@plemans wrote:

AC1200 is a speed. which model did you buy? 

did you set it up in access point mode (the one in the summer house)?

Is the wifi that's saying "connected no internet" for the devices connected to the extender in the primary home? Does it matter if the devices connect to the router? do they work? 

Which virgin media router was it? 

Message 3 of 5

I am attaching the network drawing.

I have already installed and working: Virgin Media Router (Hitron model CGNV4) and the Netgear Extender EX7700 AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band Wifi Mesh Extender.

To extend again the wifi network to the summer house in the garden as mentioned earlier I installed a CAT5 cable with about 15 meters, and now I an looking to understang what device I need to buy for the summer house? 

An Extender, An Access Point, A Router with bridge mode? 

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

to keep it simple:

Extender: a device that picks up a wifi broadcast and rebroadcasts it. 

Access point: hardwired in via ethernet, powerline, moca adapters and broadcasts its own signal. 

Bridge: it picks up a wireless broadcast but doesn't re-broadcast. It just lets you use the ethernet ports on the device. 

If you've got a cable already ran, you want something to act as an access point. But most of netgears extenders (not all) have access point mode. As well as most routers have access point mode. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7