Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware Update

AAACW
Aspirant

Firmware Update

Over the last few months my router has started to periodically drop connection to all wireless devices. Pulling power and rebooting temporarily solves the problem. I went online and there was quite a bit of chatter regarding firmware update version V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 as the problem. (just now lost connection again...the irony) 

The Netgear website indicates that there is a newly released firmware update that is supposed to address the dropping issue among others.. 

"7/28/20 - Firmware update 1.0.11.106 for R7000 now available" 

However, using the Netgear app and logging in as the admin, then running a check for the new update, it says no new updates available...every...single...time... 

The dropping issue is starting to become serious enough that it affecting Skype and Teams calls. I can't have that.

Any insight would be apprecaited.  

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CalCal23
Apprentice

Re: Firmware Update

@AAACW 

What you should do is download the router update file to your computer.  Then unzip it.  It should be a .chk file...

Then log into your router and choose the manual update option on the web based interface.  Point the router update page to the file location where you saved the .chk file and select it.

Then press update...and wait for 3 minutes.  Your router's indicator lights will turn off and then re-establish, just like a soft reboot of your router.  If you have a router login password (and you really should) login to your router again.  Then check the firmware version on the top right corner of the webpage.  It should reflect the latest firmware version.

As I'm sure you've experienced, the auto update feature on these types of Netgear routers is hot garbage.  It partially works at best.  Netgear will send you an email notification, if you allow email notifications in your preferences for the Netgear website (it's not in the router settings).

I highly recommend connecting your computer to your router directly using an ethernet cable.  It makes the process so much smoother....

I hope this helps...but reach out if you don't make any progress.....

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
CalCal23
Apprentice

@AAACW 

What you should do is download the router update file to your computer.  Then unzip it.  It should be a .chk file...

Then log into your router and choose the manual update option on the web based interface.  Point the router update page to the file location where you saved the .chk file and select it.

Then press update...and wait for 3 minutes.  Your router's indicator lights will turn off and then re-establish, just like a soft reboot of your router.  If you have a router login password (and you really should) login to your router again.  Then check the firmware version on the top right corner of the webpage.  It should reflect the latest firmware version.

As I'm sure you've experienced, the auto update feature on these types of Netgear routers is hot garbage.  It partially works at best.  Netgear will send you an email notification, if you allow email notifications in your preferences for the Netgear website (it's not in the router settings).

I highly recommend connecting your computer to your router directly using an ethernet cable.  It makes the process so much smoother....

I hope this helps...but reach out if you don't make any progress.....

Message 2 of 6
AAACW
Aspirant

Followed your instructions and all appears well at the moment. I certainly appreciate your assistance.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 6
Fnetgeer
Aspirant

I have the same router AC 1900 R7000 and can't access the update on my ios phone or mac computer because it is not recognizing my admin password. I follow their instructions and simply get "login failed" and when I try to use the routerlogin.com or net it says I'm not connected to my wifi yet I am. They are loops to nowhere.  Any guidance on this? TY

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 4 of 6
tsh332
Aspirant

If you can't recall your admin password, generally the only solution is to reset the router to factory defaults (which will reset the router to its factory default admin user name and password) and then go through the steps to initially set up your router as if you had just unboxed it.  Shouldn't be that time consuming unless you have some complex settings established in your router presently.  

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6
LadyP
Aspirant

will this advice also work for AC 1750 wifi cable modem - router model C6300?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7