Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help--Nighthawk in Wonky (occaisional SNAFUs)

BetterHealth
Aspirant

Help--Nighthawk in Wonky (occaisional SNAFUs)

My router is giving me the following problems.  Tried a couple of reboots/ resets, still stuck.  Help (Please).

Issue:

1) When connecting via Wifi, devices (iPhone, Android, Roku, PC) seem to lose access to the internet

2) After a reset, I went to reconnect, and noticed that the ethernet internet connection isn't working.  Saw on the forum a few people said Power Strips can cause problems--is this still true?   

3) in addition to using a Power Strip, the Power Strip is attached to a Battery Back-up (I am in the semi-boonies and at the end of the power line--we get a lot of power blips).

4) I have a 2nd wifi router (a Belkin) in the house plugged through internet that sometimes appears more stable. Seems funny that since this is down-stream it works when the Nighthawk doesn't

5) the Android App.  Just updated it, when I open it, there is a 'circle' to mark--but no description.  Can't seem to do anything without marking the box

Hardware R7000

Firmware V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

Not sure what other information might be needed.  LMK

I checked for firmware and it looks OK, but the frustration increases.   Help appreciated--thank you.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
antinode
Guru

Re: Help--Nighthawk in Wonky (occaisional SNAFUs)

> Firmware V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

> I checked for firmware and it looks OK, [...]

"checked" _how_?  Define "looks OK"?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/2069376#M186506

> 2) After a reset, I went to reconnect, and noticed that the ethernet
> internet connection isn't working. [...]

You "noticed" _what_?  "not working" is not a useful problem
description.  It does not say what you did.  It does not say what
happened when you did it.  As usual, showing actual actions (commands)
with their actual results (error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be
more helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations.

A clear description of what _does_ happen would be more useful
than a vague description of what does _not_ happen.

> [...] Saw on the forum [...]

Thanks for the helpful links.

> [...] a few people said Power Strips can cause problems--is this still
> true?

"still"?  Was it ever?  Noise filters (such as those found in some
power strips) can block the signals of Powerline adapters.  Are you
using any of those?

> 4) I have a 2nd wifi router (a Belkin) [...]

Not a very detailed desciption of that device.

> [...] in the house plugged through internet [...]

Not a very detailed desciption of how it's connected to what.

Message 2 of 5
Victor_N
Aspirant

Login to your Netgear router's admin configuration page, go to Advanced/Advanced Setup/Advanced Wireless Settings/

[  ]Uncheck "Enable Router's Pin"

Make sure the following have [✓]

*Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING

*Enable MU-MIMO

*Enable Airtime Fairness

Apply all changes and the router should reload.

Let us know if the problem was fixed.

-Vic

Computer Science Major, Emphasis in Cybersecurity - ASU

Message 3 of 5

@BetterHealth wrote:

4) I have a 2nd wifi router (a Belkin) in the house plugged through internet that sometimes appears more stable. Seems funny that since this is down-stream it works when the Nighthawk doesn't

Does this mean that you have two routers both in router mode on your network?

If so, among other things, that could explain this bit:

@BetterHealth wrote:

1) When connecting via Wifi, devices (iPhone, Android, Roku, PC) seem to lose access to the internet

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local addressing problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply modem/routers that won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This is all guesswork based on my incomplete understanding of what os going on at your end. Another important unknown is the modem, if there is one, in front of this stuff.

Message 4 of 5
BetterHealth
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.  I'll be more specific:

1) Checked for firmware. Using the Nighthawk Android App--says up to date.  Then I noted your comment about "Trust No One" and found an update (R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100) which has been applied (and robooted). 

The top right of the http://www.routerlogin.net/  page says Internet Status: Not connected.

2) I noticed it wasn't working then (nor now). Using WIndows10 (all updates applied), my network status shows no ethernet internet connectivity.  When I go into Settings, Network & Internet, My status of the Ethernet connection says no internet. I have it configured as a private network and use ESET for my security.   I admit it may have something to do with firewall and security settings, however I do not believe I have set any restrictions. 

3) I don't know what to make of the Power Strip issue.  Still have it in place (and the battery back-up).  It seemed according to what I saw on the forum that this isn't/ wasn't an issue.  Still not sure it makes sense to switch out how I am plugged in (unless it's likely to make a difference)--especially given the power blips I experience. 

4) My Belkin WIfi is a Belkin Surf Wireless Router, Model F7D2301 v1  (also states Belkin.3540).  My house has steel I-beams throughout and I have placed this two floors above and at the opposite end of my house. It is connected through ethernet wires from the NetGear Router, to a 'dumb switchbox' (TrendNet Gigabit Switch TEG-D50g) and then into the Belkin.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7