Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I change my WiFi Password

Dumb-dumb
Aspirant

How do I change my WiFi Password

I have had my router for six months now. The router works great. I originally changed the network name and password. Now I want to change only the network password again. I am having issues figuring out how to do that.

I tried going to routerlogin.net but need the password specified from the first time I logged in. My devices are all running nice and smooth now. Is there a way to change my password?

Thank you for looking!
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: How do I change my WiFi Password

@Dumb-dumb wrote:

I appreciate the response.  The firmware is 1.0.9.26

I did get into a password recovery area, but after answering the 2 security questions it doens't give me an option to hit continue.

Usually when you can't see a control like a button it is clearly BROWSER related.  I'd try it again with a different browser.

Look https://kb.netgear.com/24220/How-do-I-recover-my-password-on-my-Nighthawk-router for NG details on how to do this.

@Dumb-dumb wrote:

I have tried admin and password, but that doesn't work.  I have also tried using the router label and that isn't working either.

This is definitely frustrating.  Any other ideas?

Had you CHANGED either before? If so, you must use those. Make sure the CAPS key isn't on and if you had a Capital letter then use it. Case matters here.

Still doesn't work. Router RESET is the way to go, https://www.router-reset.com/30-30-30-reset-factory-defaults-wireless-router/. That should put you back to NO SETTINGS in the router and you should be able to login with the UID and PW on the router label.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Not without getting to the Router page on a Browser.

Don't know HOW old your F/W is, but newer versions if you don't provide the correct P/W will revert to Password Recovery and ask you some pre-setup questions you need to answer. If you never set these up even if the firmware were to do this you'd be in an endless loop.

Now I'm not sure what you mean by "I tried going to routerlogin.net but need the password specified from the first time I logged in."? That wouldn't be the same as the Network name and Password you had changed. Again, depending on the age of the router and firmware it would be one of two things, either the standard NG default of 'admin' and 'password' or what is on the router label on the bottom of the router (if there is one).  Once in you can change that on the WIRELESS tab.

Message 2 of 10

@Dumb-dumb wrote:
I originally changed the network name and password.

Adding to the comments from @IrvSp is this wifi details or the details for getting into the router's control interface?

routerlogin.net needs the interface password. But unless you are using a wired connection, you may have to connect to the wifi first.

There is support material, including a manual, for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See page 125 onwards.

Message 3 of 10
Dumb-dumb
Aspirant

I did get into a password recovery area, but after answering the 2 security questions it doens't give me an option to hit continue.

I have tried admin and password, but that doesn't work.  I have also tried using the router label and that isn't working either.

Message 4 of 10
Dumb-dumb
Aspirant

Initially I wanted to only change my WiFi password, but now I want to check out the router's control interface as well and make sure that the remote management option is not enabled.

For routerlogin.net what is the interface password?  I am connected via WiFi now.  

I appreciate your time and energy!

Message 5 of 10
antinode
Guru

> [...] Initially I wanted to only change my WiFi password, but now I
> want to check out the router's control interface [...]

Have you considered the advantages of fetching a copy of the R7000
User Manual, and doing some reading?

> For routerlogin.net what is the interface password?

Covered on page 19, "Log In to the Router".  See also page 17, "Types
of Logins".  When in doubt, visit http://netgear.com/support , put in
your model number, and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (or
for older products, something similarly named).

> I am connected via WiFi now.

Shouldn't matter.

> I appreciate your time and energy!

You could probably consume less of it by reading the User Manual.

Message 6 of 10
IrvSp
Master

@Dumb-dumb wrote:

Usually when you can't see a control like a button it is clearly BROWSER related.  I'd try it again with a different browser.

Look https://kb.netgear.com/24220/How-do-I-recover-my-password-on-my-Nighthawk-router for NG details on how to do this.

@Dumb-dumb wrote:

Had you CHANGED either before? If so, you must use those. Make sure the CAPS key isn't on and if you had a Capital letter then use it. Case matters here.

Still doesn't work. Router RESET is the way to go, https://www.router-reset.com/30-30-30-reset-factory-defaults-wireless-router/. That should put you back to NO SETTINGS in the router and you should be able to login with the UID and PW on the router label.

Message 7 of 10

@Dumb-dumb wrote:

Did you ever set up password recovery? If not, you will never get in.

I don't know what you mean by "the router label". This will have "admin and password" as the way into routerlogin.net. Any other passwords are for the wifi.

Page 17 in the manual describes the Types of Logins.

If "admin and password"and password do not work, they are the defaults for the R7000 (page 19), then at some stage you, or someone else, changed the password.

If you "factory reset" the device. (See page 12 in the manual.) It will get you back to those defaults.

To a certain extent we are shooting in the dark here given the lack of detailed information from you. For example,  we still don't know what password you want to change. Router? Wifi?

Message 8 of 10
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

I don't know what you mean by "the router label". This will have "admin and password" as the way into routerlogin.net. Any other passwords are for the wifi.

Page 17 in the manual describes the Types of Logins.

If "admin and password"and password do not work, they are the defaults for the R7000 (page 19), then at some stage you, or someone else, changed the password.

If you "factory reset" the device. (See page 12 in the manual.) It will get you back to those defaults.

It seems that NG changed the labels on newer manufactured routers BUT NOT the manuals. On newly made routers ( and my R8000) the UID and PW are there for LOGIN as well as the WIFI ones. I've heard some are not the normal defaults though (my R8000 does have admin and password listed for them).

Message 9 of 10
Dumb-dumb
Aspirant

Hard reset was definitely the answer.  

Thank you!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation