Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue with R7000 connecting to Arris SVG2482AC

DASYHRD
Tutor

Issue with R7000 connecting to Arris SVG2482AC

Recently I had an issue with the entire internet service going down and decided to disconnect all devices from the modem and router to troubleshoot.

I have a Arris SVG2482AC modem/router with Xfinity ISP and a Netgear R7000  AC1900 Nighthawk  router.

With just the power and coaxial cable connected to the Arris I am able to get online wired directly from the Arris or wirelessly.

Once I connect a ethernet cable from the Arris to the Nighthawk router, within a minute or so the Arris unit seems to reboot. 

The Netgear wifi signal has no issue but the internet led never lights up.

The Netgear unit is ~3years old now and I wonder if there is anything I can do prior to trashing it?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Issue with R7000 connecting to Arris SVG2482AC

it could be because you're in a double nat. 

Did you ever try the R7000 in AP mode? (access point)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

it could be because you're in a double nat. 

Did you ever try the R7000 in AP mode? (access point)

Message 2 of 5
DASYHRD
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply.

No I have not tried that yet.

Message 3 of 5
DASYHRD
Tutor

Just enabled access point mode on the Netgear router and plugged in the ethernet cable into the Arris.

So far no issues.   Did a speed test and it appears somewhat faster than before.

Just curious my previous setup did not need to have the R7000 in access point mode.  Any idea why it needs to be enabled now?

Anyhow,  big mahalos for the quick response and advice!   Saved me $160 on buying another router.  

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

@DASYHRD wrote:

Just enabled access point mode on the Netgear router and plugged in the ethernet cable into the Arris.

So far no issues.   Did a speed test and it appears somewhat faster than before.

Just curious my previous setup did not need to have the R7000 in access point mode.  Any idea why it needs to be enabled now?---Maybe the arris got a firmware update and it caused an issue? Maybe the firmware on the R7000 was updated and caused an issue. tough to say 100% what cuased it. But a double nat can cause conflicts. 

Anyhow,  big mahalos for the quick response and advice!   Saved me $160 on buying another router.  ---Glad it worked! and glad to help save some $ during these times!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7