Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need to add mesh to Nighthawk X6 - recommendations?

tomhandley8
Tutor

Need to add mesh to Nighthawk X6 - recommendations?

Hello. I purchased the Nighthawk X6 to optimise the WiFi in my house and also apply controls using the Circle app. My issue is that my son has been used to plugging in an Ethernet cable with the extender that my previous WiFi system (Virgin Media) provided, and it is not compatible with the Nighthawk. I have tried a WiFi extender but the response times for his PC gaming are not good enough. So my question: how do I extend the Nighthawk WiFi such that I can get the signal to his bedroom and then have an Ethernet cable from the extender / mesh device into his PC? Is there a recommended Netgear device to connect to the Nighthawk? Thanks in advance!
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Need to add mesh to Nighthawk X6 - recommendations?

Are you just adding 1 or more than 1? 

If its just one, I'd recommend a triband mesh extender like the ex7700/ex8000

If you're needing more than 1, then I'd look at a full mesh system like orbi

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

what extender did you have?
Whats the size of the home?

What are the interior walls made of? 

What speeds did you get out of the extender? 

Message 2 of 8
MaryESmith
Aspirant

Cant find details on this.. i want to add mesh to my network.. the current router works great in most places.. but looking to add mesh +ethernet to media areas like in my living room where the devices could use a boost of bandwidth for streaming services.  I like the nighthawk satelites they provide an ethernet for devices that arent wifi enabled or dont support faster wifi technology.

Can I "mesh" satelite boxes directly with my ac3000 or do i have to use the router?... I know i can just plug the "internet" port into my routers network but that sort of defeats the purpose doesnt it?.. i already have fantastic speed on my second floor... i'm just looking to improve my other floors.. 

any input much appreciated.

Message 3 of 8
tomhandley8
Tutor

The repeater was Rockspace WiFi Repeater - 1200Mbps Dual Band WiFi Booster 5GHz and 2.4GHz, AC1200 WiFi

House walls are brick / plaster

Speeds were around 35 Mbps, which is normally ok but seemingly nowhere near as good as he was getting go the Ethernet cable plugged into the repeater in the previous set up.

I think I need a mesh set up so that I can connect a cable to the mesh device which will connect to the gaming PC. Thanks for any advice you have
Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

brick and plaster lathe are amazing at blocking wifi signals. 

A mesh system might help but if the wireless backhaul doesn't have a good connection, its still going to struggle

Message 5 of 8
tomhandley8
Tutor

So the kit that came with the ISP service was fine (allowed decent connection via mesh network) so really I just want to know what kit I would need to add to the Nighthawk router in order to create a mesh network that would allow me to plug in an Ethernet cable to connect my son’s PC. Thanks
Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Are you just adding 1 or more than 1? 

If its just one, I'd recommend a triband mesh extender like the ex7700/ex8000

If you're needing more than 1, then I'd look at a full mesh system like orbi

Message 7 of 8
tomhandley8
Tutor

I’m thinking just one, since the existing wireless router plus 1 repeater serves all devices pretty well. Just need the Ethernet connection for this one Gaming PC. And since I have the Nighthawk X6 it makes sense to add the EX7700. That’s very helpful, thanks for the advice. 😀
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7