Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk Genie App Admin Account

anelson87
Tutor

Netgear Nighthawk Genie App Admin Account

Hello,

we have had this router for 3 years and never downloaded the NIghthawk app. Trying to do that now and it's asking for an Admin Username and Password. Since we never created this before (or at least I don't think we did), I'm having trouble getting through this step on the app. Any help or guidance on how to recover this? 

I have gone to routerlogin.net and tried the generic "admin" and "password" and neither work right now. 

Thanks!

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: Netgear Nighthawk Genie App Admin Account

@anelson87 wrote:

we have had this router for 3 years and never downloaded the NIghthawk app. Trying to do that now and it's asking for an Admin Username and Password.

Downloading apps to your mobile device is in the hands of either Android or Apple, depending on which version you want to install.

So, tell us what you are doing and where things go wrong. Then maybe someone can help.

Message 2 of 6
anelson87
Tutor

Good point! We tried my husband’s android and my iPhone and get stuck on this local login screen. Cannot get to a password reset and the default isn’t working. Any ideas?? Image attached
Message 3 of 6

OK. So the Nighthawk app is installed.

That screen is the way into the router. But before you can use it you need to be connected to the wifi from the router. That has its own SSID and password.

If the default router password (password) does not work in the app, try it in the browser's graphical user interface (GUI).

If that doesn't work, and you haven't changed the password, that points to something else on the network.

What modem, if there is one, sitting between the router and the Internet?

You need to get into the app with local access before you can enable Anywhere Access.

How do I enable or disable Anywhere Access on my router using the Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR ...

It might be easier to set that up with the

They have changed the name of this from Remote Management.

Enabling your router's remote management | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 6
anelson87
Tutor

Ok good to know! thank you so much. I did try on the browser and that does not work either. We have an Arris Modem that is used with the router and Xfinity is our internet provider. Getting into the app with local access - how do I do that? Sorry for the questions, this is so confusing! Appreciate your help!

Message 5 of 6

@anelson87 wrote:

We have an Arris Modem that is used with the router ...

Which one? Model number? Arris has made a lot of modems over the years.

Getting into the app with local access - how do I do that?

If you have a PC with a wired connection to the router, then you should be able to get in with this:

How do I log in to my NETGEAR wireless router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Look at the bit:

To log in to your NETGEAR router with a web browser.

If you can't do that, the answer to the modem question might give us some clues.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7