Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 Latency and Packet Loss issues

aethryll
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 Latency and Packet Loss issues

Issue:  Highly variable download and upload speeds on hardwired connections and all three (3) wireless bands.  Found intermittent packet loss and high latency when pinging router directly (192.168.1.1) both wireless (both 5ghz bands and 2.4ghz) and hardwired. 

When it Started:  The former issue was persistent (variable download speeds) but much less common and more tolerable when router was first purchased (~2 years ago maybe?) but since the last two firmware updates has gotten considerably worse. 

Steps already tried:

- ISP provider's speed test (hardwired)

- 5 tests.  Best returned 225mbps, worst graded at 36mbps.  Should be near 400mbps

- Each one would spike early (max about 300mbps), then rise and fall between 50mbps and 200mbps for rest of test

- Upload constant at 20mbps in all tests

- ISP provider's speed test (hardwired direct to modem)

- 3 tests, each returned values around 300mbps down, 22 mbps up

- only small fluctuations mid test from 275mbps to 325mbps

- Verified issue affects all devices (multiple phones, multiple pcs, multiple TVs, and multiple game consoles) 

- Power cycle modem/router

- Reset wireless settings

- Analyze local interference and adjust channels for wireless networks

- Ping 192.168.1.1 (wiress 5ghz, 5ft from router)

- 1% packet loss on multiple tests of 100 packets

- 34ms average latency, 2ms best, ~400ms worst

- Ping 192.168.1.1 (wireless 2.4ghz, 5ft from router)

- 2% packet loss on multiple tests of 100 packets

- 40ms average latency, 2ms best, ~550ms worst

- Tested hardwired connection (marginally better at first but issues persists)

- Ping 192.168.1.1 (hardwired, 25ft cable)

- 0.3% packet loss on single test of 1000 packets

- 1ms average latency

- Ping 2nd hop from tracert (hardwired, 25ft cable)

- no packet loss on a single test of 100 packets

- 33ms average, 186ms max, 10ms min.  looks like ~1 packet in 20 is > 150ms which corresponds with the latency drop to router

- Update Firmware

- Hard reset of router

- Purchased hub to hardwire all living room devices

- Removed all but one device and re-test

The latency on the hardwired side wasn't that bad (though losing packets, even if just 3/1000, does concern me.)  Based on the fact that the issue started the same day I set up this router (prior was a Linksys that had put its best days behind it,) the much more successful speedtests when connected direct to modem, the packet loss on wireless pings to router, and the lag spikes no matter how I connect to the router tells me the issue isn't with the ISP or their modem (I tested the ethernet cabling as well) I feel pretty confident the issue is with the router.

I'm well past the warranty period (I should have called in the beginning but I've had bad luck with several netgear products in the past) so I guess my only question is; did I miss any troubleshooting that could resolve/improve the situation or should I be looking for a replacement product at this point?

Thanks in advance for any assistance from anyone out there.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 Latency and Packet Loss issues

Lots of stuff in there, but not some crucial details.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Have you turned off things like QoS and traffic metering, features that are known to strain a roujter's processor and perhaps to slow down traffic in the process..

Of course, "highly variable download and upload speeds" may have nothing to do with your network as they depend greatly on what is on the other end of the connection. 

Message 2 of 4
aethryll
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

Current firmware version is V1.0.4.76_10.1.82, but it's occurred with multiple firmware versions over the last couple years.

I don't have the model of the modem with me, but I can say it is most certainly a pure modem.  I believe the modem is fine as the issue does not occur with any other device that is connected to it directly.

QOS and Traffic Metering are turned off by default.  I don't recall ever turning any of the additional features on (including the security suite) prior to the factory reset.  I can say with certainty none of the features disabled by default are have been enabled since the last factory reset.

I feel confident that the "highly variable download speeds" (upload is fine, consistent at 24mbps) have everything to do with my network.  There is packet loss pinging the router itself and latency spikes when pinging the second hop of a tracert.  The issues do not repeat for any device hardwired directly to the modem, and the issue began when I first installed this router though not to the extreme they are now.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

One of the things you can try is I've seen a few R8000's that struggle with netgear armor. And its built into the firmware after a certain point. 

Try downgrading to the version prior to armor, then do a factory reset and reinstall. Disable auto-updates. Then test it. 

version prior to armor: 1.0.4.28

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7