Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk r8000 slows wired connection

spirittalk
Guide

Netgear Nighthawk r8000 slows wired connection

Hello.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk r8000 wireless router that is cutting the speed of a wired connection from 950Mbs to 250Mbs.  I recently switched to Ziply Fiber Gig Speed.  When they did the switch I was getting 960Mbs with a wired connection going from the ONT to the r8000, then a LAN cable going from the r8000 to the desk top.  This weekend we had the TV freeze up a couple of times while we were streaming via wifi so I checked the internet speed.  On the wired connection it had dropped from 960Mbs to 250Mbs.  I bypassed the r8000 and hooked the ONT directly to the desk top and acheived 950Mbs.  I updated the firmware on the r8000, wired the cable back through the r8000 rebooted it several times but still am getting about 250Mbs.  Any idea how to get this wired speed back up?  I am not an expert on the settings but I know the Traffic Monitor and the QoS is off.  Any help you can provide would be appreciated.  Thanks, Dave

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
spirittalk
Guide

Re: Netgear Nighthawk r8000 slows wired connection

Thanks for the advice.  The factory reset worked and now getting 905 down and 820 up.  Firmware says it is V1.0.4.68_10.1.75.  The ONT is Frontier I-211M-L.  Appreciate the help!  Thank you so much!!

View solution in original post

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Make sure qos, traffic monitoring, access control, and parental controls are disabled. Then reboot the router. 

Test the speeds after that. 

If that doesn't help, sometimes you need to factory reset and clean install (not from a backup). 

those 4 services disable ctf which is needed to hit gigabit speeds. And even though disabling them should reenable ctf, I've read of others that actually needed to do a full factory reset to get it re-enabled. 

What firmware version are you on?

What ont do you have? 

Message 2 of 4
spirittalk
Guide

Thanks for the advice.  The factory reset worked and now getting 905 down and 820 up.  Firmware says it is V1.0.4.68_10.1.75.  The ONT is Frontier I-211M-L.  Appreciate the help!  Thank you so much!!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

glad it worked!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation