Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R8000 Is getting significantlly slower speeds than my Virgin ISP Router

ImAWookie
Aspirant

Netgear R8000 Is getting significantlly slower speeds than my Virgin ISP Router

Hi,

I am currently getting 200mbp/s instead of the 1GBp/s that my Virgin Super Hub 4 is getting.

My Virgin Hub is in modem mode and my Nighthawk is the main Wifi Router. I am using a Cat 6 cable and am currently on firmware V1.0.4.18_10.1.49, this is because another person said this fixed their issue.

QoS is disabled.

Has anyone got an idea on what to do? The Virgin Hub is not very good for latency purposes but the Nighthawk is getting some really poor speeds.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear R8000 Is getting significantlly slower speeds than my Virgin ISP Router

A couple things. 

1. the vigin super hub is a modem/router combo device. it causes a double nat unless in passthrough/modem only mode. 

you can try putting the netgears IP address into the virgin hubs DMZ or try putting the netgear in access point mode. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

2. if you've ever used qos, traffic monitoring, parental controls, or access control on the R8000, try a factory reset and reinstall. 

3. You're on an older version of the firmware. The latest is V1.0.4.78.  usually if I recommend an older firmware for the R8000 its the V1.0.4.28 firmware. 

Message 2 of 3
Swervey
Aspirant

Re: Netgear R8000 Is getting significantlly slower speeds than my Virgin ISP Router

Just picking up from where this chat left off. I had the same issue. I have a Nighthawk R8000 connected to a Virgin Hub 4 box with 500Mbps internet connection. I noticed i was only getting 150-170Mbps download speeds from my LAN connected PC and spent ages finding the reasons why. I came across various posts about downgrading to an older version fixed this.... which it did. I then came across this post and upgraded to the recommended version - V1.0.4.28_10.1.54.

While testing, its definitely the Parental controls and/or traffic meter that causes the issue. My question is why does this happen? I have young children and find the parental controls really useful, but i cannot use them due to it affecting my internet speeds. Is netgear going to fix this or not? Or is there a way round it?

Thanks

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7