Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear router not working after Internet Modem changed to Arris TG4482A

CanadianGuy
Guide

Netgear router not working after Internet Modem changed to Arris TG4482A

I upgraded my internet in the last month or so, which came with an Arris TG4482A Modem/Gateway, and my R7000P keeps dropping out constantly and my Xbox One won't even connect anymore at all. Event logs on the Arris show regular critical errors such as these:

DHCPv6[16394]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 822022/1/3 21:36:40Critical
DHCPv6[16394]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 242022/1/3 21:36:40Critical
DHCPv6[16394]: 72001004-DHCPv6 Provision - 0 Retries Attempted with Last attempt at Mon Jan 3 13:36:38 20222022/1/3 21:36:40Critical
DHCPv6[16394]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 822022/1/3 21:36:39Critical
DHCPv6[16394]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 242022/1/3 21:36:39Critical

Does the R7000P not work with this Arris model? It's running the latest firmware.

At this point, I'm thinking of ditching all Netgear equipment if I can't get this working.

Thoughts?

Chris

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 12
Kitsap
Master

Re: Netgear router not working after Internet Modem changed to Arris TG4482A

Your Arris TG4482A is between your ISP and the router.  Errors in the gateway log indicate a problem with ISP provisioning of the gateway.

Three questions to start with.

Is your Arris TG4482A in bridge mode?

Does your ISP support IPv6? 

Who is your ISP?

Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

That arris is a modem/router combo device. It causes a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 3 of 12

An alternative to the list of options that @plemans suggests is to follow the usual startup process:

First factory reset your R7000P router so that it forgets any settings from your old internet service. (You should do that anyway if you change your Internet account.)

Then restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

The R7000P may then spot that you have asked it to connect to another router and it will allocate its own local IP address accordingly.

This is probably not the best option as it will make it difficult for you to access the browser graphical user interface (GUI) and may also land you with other double NAT issues.

The choice of all the available options is down to what tasks you want the TG4482A and the R7000P handle.

Message 4 of 12
CanadianGuy
Guide

@Kitsap wrote:

Your Arris TG4482A is between your ISP and the router.  Errors in the gateway log indicate a problem with ISP provisioning of the gateway.

Three questions to start with.

Is your Arris TG4482A in bridge mode?

Does your ISP support IPv6? 

Who is your ISP?

Yes, the Arris Gateway is in Bridge mode, and the ISP is Rogers. I'm venturingout on a guess they do, since the logged errors are related to IPv6.

Message 5 of 12
Kitsap
Master

You need to do a sequential restart of your LAN.  The sequence is important.

Unplug the power cord and ethernet cable from your modem and also disconnect the coax cable.  Give it a couple of minutes, reconnect the coax and plug in the power.  Give the modem ample time to complete the startup process and for the connection to stabilize.

Unplug the power from your router and give it a couple of minutes.  Plug in the power to the router and give it a couple of minutes to complete the startup process and to stabilize.  Reconnect the ethernet cable between your modem and router.  The router should connect and the lights should indicate an internet connection.

Downstream devices should connect to your router, either via ethernet or wi-fi.  The extra ethernet ports on the back of your modem will not be functional in bridge mode.

Make sure your router is configured to obtain an IPv6 address from your ISP.

Message 6 of 12
CanadianGuy
Guide

@Kitsap wrote:

Unplug the power cord and ethernet cable from your modem and also disconnect the coax cable.  Give it a couple of minutes, reconnect the coax and plug in the power.  Give the modem ample time to complete the startup process and for the connection to stabilize.

Unplug the power from your router and give it a couple of minutes.  Plug in the power to the router and give it a couple of minutes to complete the startup process and to stabilize.  Reconnect the ethernet cable between your modem and router.  The router should connect and the lights should indicate an internet connection.

Downstream devices should connect to your router, either via ethernet or wi-fi.  The extra ethernet ports on the back of your modem will not be functional in bridge mode.

I did each of these things in order a handful of times with no luck. Re: obtaining IPv6 addresses from the ISP: are you saying that the R7000P should have the internet connection type in the IPv6 (Advanced Setup > IPv6) set to auto-detect (default is disabled)? I do know the User Interface is showing a WAN IP (IPv6) value.

Just a side note: this model of Arris seems to be a WiFi 6 modem--don't know how that might affect anything else.

Message 7 of 12
CanadianGuy
Guide

@plemans wrote:

That arris is a modem/router combo device. It causes a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

The Arris Gateway is in bridge mode, so shouldn't be a double-NAT situation (from my understanding from the article). I'm a Netgear Armor user, so that would make my subscription unusable by operating in AP mode (coincidentally, my Netgear Armor subscription has also become disabled). I do have an R7000 in AP mode that is running under the R7000P, but this has never been an issue. Both routers are updated to the latest firmware.

Message 8 of 12

@CanadianGuy wrote:

The Arris Gateway is in bridge mode, so shouldn't be a double-NAT situation (from my understanding from the article).

Shouldn't and isn't are two different things.

The people who make these things have habit of using different terminology and ways of going about things. For a start, "bridge mode" means different things with different devices. For modem/routers, I prefer the term "modem only".

Your cascade of hardware is looking increasingly complicated.

Arris TG4482A > R7000P > R7000

Is there any wifi SSID visible from the Arris TG4482A?

Message 9 of 12
CanadianGuy
Guide

@michaelkenward wrote:

@CanadianGuy wrote:

The Arris Gateway is in bridge mode, so shouldn't be a double-NAT situation (from my understanding from the article).

Shouldn't and isn't are two different things.

The people who make these things have habit of using different terminology and ways of going about things. For a start, "bridge mode" means different things with different devices. For modem/routers, I prefer the term "modem only".

Your cascade of hardware is looking increasingly complicated.

Arris TG4482A > R7000P > R7000

Is there any wifi SSID visible from the Arris TG4482A?

No SSID from the Arris. The R7000 in AP mode simply inherits all its settings from the R7000P. It was working fine until my ISP forced me to replace my modem with the Arris. Again, I'm having repeated critical errors in the event logs on the Arris which seems to be related to IPv6.

Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

It wouldn't be the first ISP supplied device that didn't setup properly in passthrough/bridge/modem only mode. 

Have you tried leaving the arris in router mode (disable its wifi) and putting the R7000P's ip address into its dmz?

OR even just the arris in router mode with both netgear in access point mode?

Message 11 of 12
Kitsap
Master

@CanadianGuy wrote:

@Kitsap wrote:

I did each of these things in order a handful of times with no luck. Re: obtaining IPv6 addresses from the ISP: are you saying that the R7000P should have the internet connection type in the IPv6 (Advanced Setup > IPv6) set to auto-detect (default is disabled)?  Yes.   I do know the User Interface is showing a WAN IP (IPv6) value.

Just a side note: this model of Arris seems to be a WiFi 6 modem--don't know how that might affect anything else.

Yes to your question.  There is a chance your ISP does not have the provisioning for the new gateway figured out for their system.

@plemanslisted a couple of options for your configuration.  My preference is to use option 1. Different manufacturers have different definitions for bridge mode and they may vary by model.  The simplier you leave the system until you get this sorted out the better.  Suggest you shut off and disconnect your R7000 access point.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7