Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC1900 and Nighthawk AC3200: Do I need both?

JIMJFRED62
Tutor

Nighthawk AC1900 and Nighthawk AC3200: Do I need both?

For years I had a Comcast data modem and an old wireless router and last year I upgraded to the Nighthawk AC3200 wireless router. I just bought a new data modem--the Nighthawk AC1900.  Do I still need the Nighthawk AC3200 as I noticed the new modem offers a powerful enough signal for all my equipment.  Just trying to decide if the actual wireless router is still needed.  My desktop connects directly into the router and so other than the printer, two Tivo machines and two cell phones, nothing else pings the wireless router in the home.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JIMJFRED62
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 and Nighthawk AC3200: Do I need both?

Thanks for the advice. I converted it to an access point and it seems to be doing just fine...

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@JIMJFRED62 wrote:

Do I still need the Nighthawk AC3200 as I noticed the new modem offers a powerful enough signal for all my equipment.  

Perhaps not.  Try turning it off for a while, and see if you run into any performance issues.

If you do want to keep using the AC3200, you could use it as an Access Point, and turn of the AC1900's wifi.  There's a guide here: https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

Message 2 of 3
JIMJFRED62
Tutor

Thanks for the advice. I converted it to an access point and it seems to be doing just fine...

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7