Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7960P no wifi network showing

CapnMike
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7960P no wifi network showing

I'm trying to set up my new Nighthawk X6S AC3600 Tri-Band Wifi Router (Model R7960P).

Downloaded the Netgear Nighthawk app, installed fine, created account, verified account with email, set up 2-factor authentication.

Followed the in-app instructions, router powered up, firmware updated normally, admin password changed, verified pass-through internet access to my desktop computer is working normally.

The problem is that the wifi network is not showing up at all - like the router is not broadcasting anything. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CapnMike
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7960P no wifi network showing

Well, after posting this morning, I did some digging in the support section here and found the online manual. After logging in to the router itself to check the settings, I found all three bands we defaulted to OFF. I've never bought a router that was defaulted to NOT transmit a signal once it was hooked up! Bizarre.

Short version: Once I changed the settings and set up the security, it started working perfectly. It is frustrating that the manuals are buried under several layers of menus for a logged-in, product-registered user. It would be great to log in and have the support documentation for your registered products a single click away, rather than no less than 5 menus down. Once I did find the manual, there was a ton of useful information, obviously.

@antinode, I apreciate your response, even though it came after I had resolved my issue. The buttons on the router wouldn't do anything anyway, with the bands all turned off in the internal settings. Never seen that before in a new router.

CapnMike

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> The problem is that the wifi network is not showing up at all - like
> the router is not broadcasting anything. [...]

Perhaps it isn't.  Some basic information might help us to decide.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for the LED
descriptions and "Troubleshoot".  Pay special attention to "WiFi On/Off
button with LED".

Message 2 of 3
CapnMike
Aspirant

Well, after posting this morning, I did some digging in the support section here and found the online manual. After logging in to the router itself to check the settings, I found all three bands we defaulted to OFF. I've never bought a router that was defaulted to NOT transmit a signal once it was hooked up! Bizarre.

Short version: Once I changed the settings and set up the security, it started working perfectly. It is frustrating that the manuals are buried under several layers of menus for a logged-in, product-registered user. It would be great to log in and have the support documentation for your registered products a single click away, rather than no less than 5 menus down. Once I did find the manual, there was a ton of useful information, obviously.

@antinode, I apreciate your response, even though it came after I had resolved my issue. The buttons on the router wouldn't do anything anyway, with the bands all turned off in the internal settings. Never seen that before in a new router.

CapnMike

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7