Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000: Slow performance trough WAN ports. Approx 250-300mbps MAX

SuperKris
Tutor

Nighthawk X6 R8000: Slow performance trough WAN ports. Approx 250-300mbps MAX

Hi All,

I just upgraded my internet from 100mbps (cable) to 1gbps (glassfiber). I also got a new router with all the fiber materials. It works good, and i get approx 920mbps. However, when try to use my X6 R8000, the speed is limited to appros 300mbps. That is crazy for such a expensive router! I'm pretty much sure by now the problem is the WAN port, or the internal processing between WAN and LAN.

Situation 1:

Fiber -> media converter -> Cat 5e cable->WAN port of R8000 <-> LAN port or R8000 -> Cat 5e cable -> Gigabit switch -> Cat 5e cable -> PC with 1gbps poort

- Internet speed is max 270-320 mbps to my wired PC

- Old "NAS" connected directly to WAN of router gives a read of approx 65~70MBps (max speed of the old NAS) 

- Internet speed on 5ghz WLAN to my phone maxes out on 320mbps 

Situation 2:

Fiber -> media converter > Cat 5e cable->WAN port of Zyxel T50 <-> LAN port of Zyxel T50-> Cat 5e cable -> Gigabit switch -> Cat 5e cable -> PC with 1gbps poort

- Internet speed is max 910 mbps to my wired PC

- Old "NAS" connected directly to WAN of router gives a read of approx 65~70MBps (max speed of the old NAS) 

- Internet speed on 5ghz WLAN to my phone maxes out on 500mbps

Situation 3:

Fiber -> media converter > Cat 5e cable->WAN port of Zyxel T50 <-> LAN port of Zyxel T50 -> Cat 5e cable-> WAN port of R8000 <-> LAN port or R8000-> Cat 5e cable -> Gigabit switch -> Cat 5e cable -> PC with 1gbps poort

- result are the same as siutation 1

- Internet speed tests are done with speedtest.net in browser 

- The NAS is old and not expected to preform above 65~70MBps (approx 600mbps?)

- All hardware and cables are in good condition and should have no problem with 1gbps

- For internet i have to configure a VLAN/IPTV with a VLAN ID of 300, and a priority of 0.

My conclusion is that i can not get more than 320mps over my WAN port. From WAN to LAN its even worse maxing out at 270mps most of the time. I dont think this is acceptable for a + $200,- router. 

My questions to you are:

1) Is anyone aware of a physical limit of the WAN port?

2) Is there a way to speed up the LAN port?

3) Is there a way to connect the mediaconver to a LAN port while maintaining internet acces? 

Hope anyone can help with this!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000: Slow performance trough WAN ports. Approx 250-300mbps MAX

It wasn't until recently that the cpu's on consumer devices are getting powerful enough to do traffic inspection and pass the traffic at full speeds. And even though the R8000 seems pretty new and fancy, its actually a 4 year old device. In the world of arm processors, 4 years was quite a bit of advancement. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000: Slow performance trough WAN ports. Approx 250-300mbps MAX

since upgrading to fibre, did you factory reset the router and reinstall it? 

That's where I'd start. 

also, during the install make sure to leave disabled: qos, traffic monitoring, access control, and parental controls. 

Don't enable these processes. 

Message 2 of 7
SuperKris
Tutor

@plemans Thanks for your reply. I did not do a factory reset yet but i did cycle the power many times, and did a firmware update just a few days ago. 

As far as i can tell QoS, traffic monitoring, access control, and parental control are all disabled. 

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

The reason sometimes a factory reset can help is qos/traffic monitoring/etc all slow speeds because it has to place a burden on the cpu to instpect the traffic. And sometimes even though disabled/rebooted, the cpu still inspects traffic. A factory reset can kick it back in so traffic is automatically forwarded. its worth trying. 

Just make sure not to reinstall using a backup configuration. Basically factory reset, install the mimimum that you need (ssid/password/internet connections) and then speedtest and see where you're at. 

Message 4 of 7
SuperKris
Tutor

@plemans  damn.... I triple checked it and found traffic monitoring was indeed still enabled. I disabled and it broke the internet connection. After a few reboots it now working again and i get now get approx 910mbps down so thank you!

I'm however still a little bit disapointed that a  +$ 200,- router looses 70% of its WAN bandwith if any options are activated...

I hope the speed stays a solid 900mbps!

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

It wasn't until recently that the cpu's on consumer devices are getting powerful enough to do traffic inspection and pass the traffic at full speeds. And even though the R8000 seems pretty new and fancy, its actually a 4 year old device. In the world of arm processors, 4 years was quite a bit of advancement. 

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got the speeds back though!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7