Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6S R8000P WiFi Performance

warhawk
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6S R8000P WiFi Performance

Hello.  I recently upgraded to Spectrum 1gig internet service and have noticed that my WiFi speeds aren't quite what i'd hoped and speed tests average 600mb/s.  I've ran tests on multiple devices using speedtest.net.  These speeds are obtained with me standing right next to the router.  I've already confirmed I am getting 950mb/s to the router when connected through ethernet.  Before immediately scolding me for being unreasonable and to "just deal with it, those speeds are already incredible", please hear me out.  When you pay top dollar for top speeds, you want to ensure you're getting the most out of it.

I've tested multiple different routers as well, including the XR1000, AC1750 and X6 R8000 and all had very similar results (as you would expect measuring from directly on top of the router).  I have attempted to troubleshoot with online Netgear chat support, where we tried different WiFi channels and modified the MTU and rendered no improvement.

The two things holding me back from writing this off as a "natural speed loss due to WiFi connectivity" is I recently had AT&T fiber gig service and recall getting close to if not similar speeds to ethernet connected devices.  Furthermore, the speeds advertised for this router are much greater than what i'm pumping to the router.

The bottom line and what i'm looking for from the community is - am I dealing with a situation in which this is truly in fact natural loss and sacrifice of being connected to WiFi?  I can't believe this would be the case, especially with the speeds that are capable on the R8000P.  Or, are there more tweaks i'm not aware of?

For reference, I am running the latest firmware on my R8000P (installed latest firmware and then factory reset).  Armor is not active on the router (set router up via ethernet, not application and therefore was able to bypass Armor).  Any input, suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6S R8000P WiFi Performance

I don't think its a "culprit" issue. 

I'd recommend reading 2 articles. 

One on an actual tested speed of the device. 

NETGEAR R8000P Nighthawk X6S Tri-Band WiFi Router with MU-MIMO Reviewed - SmallNetBuilder

The other is on wireless misunderstandings. 

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6/6E (802.11 n/ac/ax) (duckware.com)

I'd highly recommend reading through both to get realistic expectations of wireless and why. Both are well written and very informative both on your device and wireless expectations. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

so let me get this correct, you're getting 600mbps out of the R8000P?
Is that correct from what you've said? 

And what device are you testing it on? 

Message 2 of 6
warhawk
Aspirant

Yes that is correct and that speed is over WiFi.. I’ve used both an iPhone and laptop to test speeds. I’ve also confirmed the network card in the laptop is capable of these speeds so that is not the culprit either.
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

I don't think its a "culprit" issue. 

I'd recommend reading 2 articles. 

One on an actual tested speed of the device. 

NETGEAR R8000P Nighthawk X6S Tri-Band WiFi Router with MU-MIMO Reviewed - SmallNetBuilder

The other is on wireless misunderstandings. 

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6/6E (802.11 n/ac/ax) (duckware.com)

I'd highly recommend reading through both to get realistic expectations of wireless and why. Both are well written and very informative both on your device and wireless expectations. 

Message 4 of 6

@warhawk wrote:

Hello.  I recently upgraded to Spectrum 1gig internet service and have noticed that my WiFi speeds aren't quite what i'd hoped and speed tests average 600mb/s. 

Are you boasting? Many people would give an arm and a leg for wifi that fast.

Unfortunately, most of us own wifi clients that are not designed to be that fast.

Think yourself lucky.

Message 5 of 6
warhawk
Aspirant

@plemans thanks for the informative reply.  I will give these a read.  I was truly looking for a more informed and in-depth explanation like you have provided rather than boasting as @michaelkenward suggested.  Have a good day.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7