Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ping spike problems

Kevvx6
Follower

Ping spike problems

Alright so ive been having this problem for a while but man im fed up with it. So a few months ago i built my pc and was using the atnt router through ethernet and man the wifi was perfect, no ping spikes EVER and no lag problems when i game, unfortunetly i had to change locations and my pc only takes ethernet. So i bought this wifi extender so i would have a router infront of me without a long ass ethernet running through my house. Im getting 5ghz of wifi and my ping stayed somewhat the same but ive started getting so much lag spikes now, its like every 10-30 seconds i get at least one lag spike, im honestly lost on what to do and need the help man i cant really take it anymore.  

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3

Re: Ping spike problems

@Kevvx6 wrote:

Im getting 5ghz of wifi and my ping stayed somewhat the same but ive started getting so much lag spikes now, its like every 10-30 seconds i get at least one lag spike, im honestly lost on what to do and need the help man i cant really take it anymore.  

If this is the main point of your message, hard to tell, I find it difficult to understand what you are doing and what the problem is, but I do know that this isn't the best place to ask for help with the EX7000.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so there may be useful responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Ping spike problems

@Kevvx6 wrote:

So a few months ago i built my pc and was using the atnt router through ethernet and man the wifi was perfect, no ping spikes EVER and no lag problems when i game, unfortunetly i had to change locations and my pc only takes ethernet.   

WiFi was never involved in the connection for this PC to the AT&T router - this was an Ethernet link in this case.

@Kevvx6 wrote:

So i bought this wifi extender so i would have a router infront of me without a long ass ethernet running through my house.  

The EX7000 does establish a wireless connection to your router WiFi. Different from a network cable dedicated to the connection for this single PC, WiFi is a shared media, the protocols have to deal with multiple stations which can't see each other, with other usage of the narrow public 5 GHz (or the 2.4 GHz band) in the house or the neighborhood,  ...

@Kevvx6 wrote:

Im getting 5ghz of wifi and my ping stayed somewhat the same but ive started getting so much lag spikes now, its like every 10-30 seconds i get at least one lag spike, im honestly lost on what to do and need the help man i cant really take it anymore.  

As soon as there is load on a WiFi, much bigger variations than the <1ms (some 0.25...0.7 ms typically) you can reach on a Gigabit Ethernet will happen.

WiFi is for commodity and mobility. As such, it can never replace the quality and bandwidth of a physical network link (copper, fiber). 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7