Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v2 updater wants .chk, but website only gives me .img

Tired8281
Aspirant

R6700v2 updater wants .chk, but website only gives me .img

I got a scary email from Netgear this morning telling me to update my router.  So I did what it told me, and when I extracted the zip, I got a .img file.  Went to upload that, it said, No, no, you need a .chk file.  I don't want to get ripped off like the other guy here did, where is the .chk file I need?

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Tired8281
Aspirant

Re: R6700v2 updater wants .chk, but website only gives me .img

I used the Chrome OS zip unpacker.  But it's irrelevant, I boxed it up and sent it back to Amazon.  This thread should be locked.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you change the .img to .chk? 

What browser are you using? Try IE11 or FF browser to load FW. Factory reset the router first, the load the file, then if it takes, factory reset once more then set up from scratch. 

If this doesn't work, phone contact NG support about this or contact ElaineM here on the forums. 

Message 2 of 12
Tired8281
Aspirant

Wow, you seriously are advising me to rename a file to shoehorn it in as a firmware update?  That's the worst advice I ever heard.  I'm still within my return window with Amazon, think I'll just box it up and go for a more reliable brand.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi Tired8281,

Have you tried updating the firmware automatically via the UI?

https://kb.netgear.com/23442/How-do-I-update-my-NETGEAR-router-s-firmware-using-the-Check-button-in-...

Message 5 of 12
Tired8281
Aspirant

I did, yes, in fact that was the first thing I did.  It said I was up to date when I obviously was not, since I got that email.

Message 6 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi Tired8281,

I was able to successfully update my router to the latest firmware manually using the .img file.

Try to reset the router to factory default. 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What are you using to unpack the .zip file after downloading? 

@Tired8281 wrote:

I did, yes, in fact that was the first thing I did.  It said I was up to date when I obviously was not, since I got that email.

Message 8 of 12
Tired8281
Aspirant

I used the Chrome OS zip unpacker.  But it's irrelevant, I boxed it up and sent it back to Amazon.  This thread should be locked.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Any future FW that you get, use WinZip or 7Zip to unpack files. Some browsers can cause problems. Can also use Windows Explorer to unpack .zip files as well. Use IE11 or FF browser to do any FW udpates. Chrome is known to cause problems and even brick routers during FW updates. 

This is a browser caused issue. 

Good Luck with your new router. 

Message 10 of 12
Tired8281
Aspirant

I don't use Windows.  And I've updated many a router with Chrome, just fine, only this one had issues.  Sounds more like a netgear issue than a chrome issue.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Even in Mac or Linux, .zip files can be unpacked with there system and not a browser. This is a browser issue is all. However you can't confirm that since you've sent it back. Smiley Wink

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7