Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 DNS Hiccups

Trippster36
Aspirant

R7000 DNS Hiccups

Hello,

I recently setup a R7000 for home use and have been encountering episodes where I believe the DNS service on the router just fails/freezes. My internet on all my devices stops working, I am unable to ping any sites such as google.com. I can still login to my router and my wireless connection remains established, but internet access just stops working until it eventually corrects itself ~2 minutes after the hiccup.

I have already verified I am on the latest firmware V1.0.7.2_1.1.93, and have switched to use Googles DNS servers but no luck, so I believe something on device itself is hiccuping. Any suggestions/ideas?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Trippster36
Aspirant

Re: R7000 DNS Hiccups

It hasn't occured since I posted, I wondered if it was overheating and doing a soft reset as it was carpet. It is now on a hard surface.

I didn't want ot factory reset as it was a brand new router with new firmware and I hadn't made any changes. It is also not possible for me to directly connect my PC to my modem, they live in different areas of the house.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
Trippster36
Aspirant

Forgot to add I am on a Windows 10 64bit computer using Google Chrome. No proxy is setup. Below is the Windows log entry corresponding with when DNS stopped working.

The Network Diagnostics Framework has completed the diagnosis phase of operation. The following repair option was offered:

Helper Class Name: DnsHelperClass

Root Cause: The DNS server isn’t responding
Your computer is trying to use a DNS server that is incorrect or doesn’t exist.

Root Cause Guid: {e366e82a-e3d7-4172-be0d-2ab2d0fe4964}

Repair option: Contact your network administrator
Your computer is trying to use a DNS server that is incorrect or doesn’t exist.

RepairGuid: {d2cb4434-1175-44c5-a093-f08bf3c6cbb6}

Seconds required for repair: 0

Security context required for repair: 0

Interface: ({00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000})

Message 2 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi Trippster36,

Reset the router to factory default and manually reconfigure. If still the same, try connecting a computer to your modem to test if the connection is stable from ISP. If connection is unstable from the modem, contact ISP. If stable, try changing the MTU size of the router or try to revert to previous firmware.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19863/~/ping-test-to-determine-optimal-mtu-size-on-rou...

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24015/~/how-do-i-change-the-mtu-size-on-my-nighthawk-r...

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30766?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 3 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi Trippster36,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 4 of 5
Trippster36
Aspirant

It hasn't occured since I posted, I wondered if it was overheating and doing a soft reset as it was carpet. It is now on a hard surface.

I didn't want ot factory reset as it was a brand new router with new firmware and I hadn't made any changes. It is also not possible for me to directly connect my PC to my modem, they live in different areas of the house.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7