Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Not Connecting to Internet

Mdw3998
Aspirant

R7000 Not Connecting to Internet

I have an R7000 in a separate building (my shop) from the house that was hardwired to an Asus AX6000. It ran with no issues. I moved the Nighthawk into the house and plugged it into the Asus and while it's broadcasting and I can connect to it, there is no Internet connection. The Internet led is blinking, power and wifi lights are steady. I tried moving back to the shop and same thing, no Internet connection. I don't know the firmware version since I can't access the router now. I did a reset to factory settings - nothing. I was thinking I should reload or update the firmware but I can't find a way without a connection. I tried Ethernet from a PC to the router/reset/192.168.1.1 - can't connect. Any questions or thoughts on the issue? Thank you
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Mdw3998
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Not Connecting to Internet

Thank you very much for all the suggestions. Well, my son was here during all this (he's an adult and lives a couple hours away) and I asked him last night if he had done anything new network wise to his laptop and he had recently loaded Expressvpn onto his laptop. He only connected to the Asus router via WiFi during his visit. I ran an ipconfig/all and found that the Netgear router had a new IP address. I browsed to it and expressvpn software came up asking my for the router's password which I entered. That gave me limited access to the router's config so I called Express. They said that my router had their firmware on it and they had a utility to reload the Netgear firmware which I did and all is well again. When I asked how this happened, they stated that I must have loaded it or it was on there when I bought it. Well I didn't load it, and my son doesn't have access to that router physically or network wise, and I bought it brand new from Best Buy 4 years ago. Quite the mystery to me.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you running the R7000 behind the ASUS router? If so, you might try AP mode on the R7000:

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Message 2 of 8

@Mdw3998 wrote:
I moved the Nighthawk into the house and plugged it into the Asus and while it's broadcasting and I can connect to it, there is no Internet connection.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 8
Mdw3998
Aspirant

Thank you kindly for the suggestion. I believe it is in AP mode, it's been a while. But I cannot check that out so anything with the router since it will not connect to the internet. I tried connecting it to a PC (no Internet then) with IP 192.162.1.1 and by using the app while on it's WiFi but it needs Internet for that operation.
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the router and setup from scratch with it near the host router. Be sure your using good LAN cables. CAT6 is recommended. Swap LAN cables. Be sure to use the WAN port on the R7000 for router or AP mode. 

Try a Dynamic or Static IP addressed configuration for AP mode.

Try the R7000 in router mode with the host router, set a 192.168.70.1 address on the R7000 prior to avoid the host router already using 192.168.1.1. IT should see internet even in router mode connected to another router. 

And what FW is loaded currently? 

Message 5 of 8

@Mdw3998 wrote:
I believe it is in AP mode, it's been a while. But I cannot check that out so anything with the router since it will not connect to the internet. I tried connecting it to a PC (no Internet then) with IP 192.162.1.1 and by using the app while on it's WiFi but it needs Internet for that operation.

In AP mode it will not have that address.(See my earlier message.) Your router should have squatted on that.

You need to look for the IP address of the wifi SSID. Then you can aim a browser at that. With luck you will get the browser graphical user interface (GUI) and can check the mode from there.

... and by using the app while on it's WiFi but it needs Internet for that operation.

Not really. It needs an Internet connection to connect to the Internet. It does not need that for you to get into the device over the wifi.

The Nighthawk app is too dumb to do something complicated like that but it might reveal the IP address of the wifi from the R7000.

Another place to look is in whatever your main router shows in its list of attached devices.

Resetting the R7000 – the usual "who knows what is going on?" suggestion – gets you nowhere nearer to understanding what is happening in your network. By all means go down that "brute force" road but don't expect to come out any the wiser.

Message 6 of 8
Mdw3998
Aspirant

Thank you very much for all the suggestions. Well, my son was here during all this (he's an adult and lives a couple hours away) and I asked him last night if he had done anything new network wise to his laptop and he had recently loaded Expressvpn onto his laptop. He only connected to the Asus router via WiFi during his visit. I ran an ipconfig/all and found that the Netgear router had a new IP address. I browsed to it and expressvpn software came up asking my for the router's password which I entered. That gave me limited access to the router's config so I called Express. They said that my router had their firmware on it and they had a utility to reload the Netgear firmware which I did and all is well again. When I asked how this happened, they stated that I must have loaded it or it was on there when I bought it. Well I didn't load it, and my son doesn't have access to that router physically or network wise, and I bought it brand new from Best Buy 4 years ago. Quite the mystery to me.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like something came from Expressvpn then though I'm not sure if they have specific FW for a NG router. Seems like something or someone did something with out your knowledge with the router. Someone has to put files on the router to make any changes. 

I recommend that you keep a copy of the NG FW file some place safe along with a saved router config file as well just in case you need a factory reset. Saves time. 
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Enjoy. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7